Job Description for PR Manager:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
We’re looking for a PR Manager to lead development and implementation of a strategy to increase visibility of our work to audiences outside of our own organisation. A creative storyteller and newshound, with killer instinct for spotting a story, you will work within NNL, and alongside our external public affairs agency, to identify rich content and develop integrated PR and communications plans which amplify NNL contribution to the nuclear sector and society at large to a variety of audiences.
Highly organised, with a keen eye for detail, you will be responsible for enhancing and managing internal PR office practices, and ensuring key messages and positioning are aligned to the corporate narrative.
Maximising the value of opportunities will be second-nature for you, as you work with NNL brand and communications colleagues to create engaging content, and find and nurture the right channels to develop our external relations activity and bring our content to life.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Risley, Sellafield, Workington or Preston.
Main Responsibilities for PR Manager:
- Deliver an integrated PR plan to support the delivery of NNL’s external reputation management strategy.
- Build strong relationships and work closely with NNL communications and the external agency provider to ensure that all activity is planned and communicated across internal and external communication channels.
- Create high-quality and creative PR campaigns to promote NNL to a variety of external audiences.
- Work closely with the NNL Communications and Engagement teams to build the profile and reputation of NNL by identifying speaking opportunities, events and visits to build the profile of NNL externally; identifying and training expert spokespeople and developing briefs for speakers.
- Advise and be part of the delivery of external events which NNL host or its people are delivering at; ensuring we ‘show up’ with coordinated messages and high standard of presentation.
- Enhance and manage robust press office practices by building strong media relationships, updating sign-off processes and establishing a database of diverse spokespeople.
- Gather information to help develop responses to media enquiries and coordinating our daily media handling approach alongside our external partner.
- Manage the content plan for external facing channels, ensuring that information is relevant and consistent.
- Maintain and coordinate the crisis comms approach which exists in NNL, keeping it up to date, relevant and aligned within wider business continuity processes.
- Develop monthly reports to evaluate activity and monitor progress with intelligence, to inform our direction and ensure leaders see the value of a content driven approach to reputation management.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for PR Manager:
- Ability to obtain BPSS level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment and criminal record checks).
- Experience of delivering multi-channel PR campaigns, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Leading multiple communications projects in a busy team with the ability to handle competing deadlines.
- Development and management of robust internal PR office practices.
- Crisis communications planning and process.
- Experience of technical or scientific environments, translating complex content to clear effective comms.
- A keen eye for news and making the most out of a story with the ability to develop creative ideas.
- Creative writing skills with the ability to develop human, engaging copy that connects with its audiences.
- Proven strong digital skills, including understanding of social media practices, tools and techniques.
- Effective project and time management skills, with the ability to plan, prioritise, and meet deadlines
- Influencing skills with the ability to build a wide range of relationships.
- Demonstrable ability to build good working relationships across professional and operational boundaries and at all levels, including senior management and external stakeholders.
Desirable Criteria for PR Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or another relevant field.
- Professional affiliation with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) or the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR).
- Proficiency with measurement tools like Google Analytics.
- Proficiency with CMS programs (WordPress, Hootsuite).
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory