Mechanical Engineer PIE Rigs (On Call)
Job Description for Mechanical Engineer PIE Rigs (On call):
NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you’ll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish — allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You’ll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
The Plant Engineer (Mechanical) will report to the Engineering Manager, they shall provide assurance that all Mechanical activities are being undertaken in a safe and compliant manner, to meet all requirements of the Nuclear Site Licence and all Regulatory and Legislative purposes. The ideal candidate will be experienced in working in a regulatory capacity; detail oriented and is able to work to stringent deadlines.
Main Responsibilities for Mechanical Engineer PIE Rigs (On call):
- Responsible for ensuring compliance to the relevant sites engineering procedures associated with disciplined operations & maintenance.
- Responsible for constantly challenging the mechanical maintenance processes on plant and ensuring plant is operated & maintained to appropriate standards.
- Primary interface with Design team on electrical changes to plant, including reviewing design change packages and installation and testing procedures.
- Responsible for reviewing of equipment parameters, trend analysis and improvements of plant, not only by trending but also industry wide best practice information.
- Provide advice on ageing plant and carry out appropriate condition assessment techniques to support NNL’s Asset Care program.
- Responsible for undertaking small scale Infrastructure improvement projects.
- Responsible for undertaking regular self-audits and task observations within their area of responsibility ensuring EHSS&Q standards are being maintained according to set procedures.
- Attend any forums (internal or external) as requested to keep abreast of best practices around other NNL Laboratories, responsible for sharing and implementing any learning.
- Assist the Engineering Manager in delivering the company values, they shall be expected to maintain a forward vision to develop and implement the best solutions in the best interest of the business.
- Provide assurance that all events or incidents within their area of responsibility are investigated thoroughly; ensure appropriate corrective actions have been discharged in a timely manner throughout the lifecycle of the event.
- Assist with the coaching and mentoring of the Engineering team as and when required.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Mechanical Engineer PIE Rigs (On call):
- Degree Qualified (mechanical discipline) or HND in an equivalent discipline. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of stated qualifications.
- Hold IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent as a minimum qualification.
- Ability to demonstrate supervisory experience for operations undertaken within a nuclear plant.
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area of responsibility.
- Good general safety case awareness with demonstrable knowledge of nuclear safety mechanisms (SM), safety related equipment (SRE) and Safety Features (SF).
- Strong communications skills, ability to communicate key information with customers, suppliers and stakeholders.
- Ability to demonstrate conservative decision making, even in pressure situations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of operational & maintenance requirements.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Mechanical Engineer PIE Rigs (On call):
- Ability to interface on a technical level with Design and Capability teams.
- Requirement to become appointed as Safety Supervisor.
- Required to become Authorised Person Mechanical.
- Requirement to become appointed to the role of Senior Authorised Person Mechanical.
- Required to become PMP Manager.
- Requirement to become appointed as Sub Contractor Supervisor.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory