Field Engineer (FTC - 18 months)
Job Description for Field Engineer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
Field Support Engineer is responsible for desktop support across Preston site, providing fixes for incidents and requests as well as IT advice and training.
The role will provide 1st and 2nd line technical problem solving and network management and will collaborate effectively with the wider ICT function to resolve customer problems at their first point of contact wherever possible.
Main responsibilities for Field Engineer:
- Support desktop, laptop and tablet computers.
- Support Fixed and mobile telephony including VOIP & Smartphones.
- Supports Operating Systems (Windows 7, 8, 10) and end point protection.
- Supports Client-side business software, including for example the Microsoft Office Suite and NNL bespoke applications.
- Supports Local area networking and equipment throughout NNL sites and facilities.
- Supports Printers and Multi-Functional Devices.
- Supports Installs, Moves and Changes including building and office change of use.
- Supports Patching of cables between switches and desktop devices.
- Supports Packaged application creation, testing and deployment.
- Supports asset management - CMDB update and maintenance.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Field Engineer:
- Demonstratable technical support, engineering and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience working in a secure, accredited or regulated environment.
- Problem solving skills using a range of sources and methods.
- Excellent communication, customer handling and inter-personal skills, via phone, face to face, IM and other remote access methods.
- Strong customer satisfaction focus.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own work to meet deadlines.
- Microsoft technologies including Office (2010, 2013, 2016), Office 365, Skype, SharePoint.
- Standard Build, Creation and Maintenance.
- Full driving license as some travel between sites will be required.
- LAN, WAN, VPN and RAS.
- SCCM administration (basic level).
- AD and O365 Administration (Account Creation, Security, Permissions).
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
- British citizen as defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 (British Nationality Act 1981 (legislation.gov.uk)). Please note if you hold a dual nationality, of which one nationality is British, you may still be considered but this is dependent on your dual nationality.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory