Job Description for Business Analyst:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Technical Business Analysts (TBA) will act as an intermediary between the business and technical delivery teams. Working with Business Engagement Partners, IT project teams and business clients, the TBA will collect, clarify, and translate requirements into requirements definition and conceptual design (using appropriate tools and techniques) from which applications and solutions are developed.
The TBA may also provide project management for small technical projects and work packages.
Main Responsibilities for Business Analyst:
- Produce requirements for complex software development, architecture, infrastructure and integration projects in a highly secure environment.
- Elicit, document and manage requirements using appropriate tools and techniques, interviews, workshops, surveys, site visits, business process mapping, through full project lifecycle.
- Work with IT Business Engagement Partners and key stakeholders, to develop business cases to support proposed solutions.
- Analyse project proposals alongside solution architects and project managers to determine time frame, budget, risk and the appropriate process for accomplishing projects.
- Support the creation, and maintenance, of standard project artefacts, such as project initiation documentation, project plans and risk and stakeholder’s matrices.
- Support the production and delivery of Invitation to Tenders on projects, including the evaluation criteria, scoring and subsequent assessment.
- Analyse, document and test (as required) program development, logic, process flows and specifications.
- Coordinate and conduct user acceptance testing.
- Document user guides to describe application installation and operating procedures.
- Assist in the coordination of project resources, when necessary, to ensure that projects are delivered to time, cost and quality.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Business Analyst:
- Significant demonstrable Business Analyst experience, in a highly technical and/ or secure / regulated environment.
- Extensive experience of elicitation, documentation and management of requirements.
- Strong analytical skills with a focus on understanding business functionality and translating them into technical requirements.
- Proven experience working on technology projects and the use of different software development methodologies (Agile, Waterfall), from inception through to implementation and closure.
- Proactively initiate, develop and maintain effective working relationships with business sponsors / stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with both business and technical audiences.
- Expertise in setting and managing, customer expectations.
- Ability to apply problem solving techniques, for example, to determine requirements, support solutions.
- Able to clearly illustrate processes / requirements clearly through business process mapping, use case modelling, activity diagrams etc.
- Familiarity of software development methodologies, such as Agile and Waterfall.
- Demonstrated experience in writing application requirements and test specifications.
- Self-motivated, proactive and customer focused with excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to prioritise multiple workstreams to ensure deadlines are met.
- Comfortable in managing small projects, to time, cost, and quality, if required.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory