Job Description for Assistant Buyer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Assistant Buyer will work with Procurement Managers, Senior Buyers, Buyers and Supply Chain Contract Managers to support the procurement of a wide range of goods and services. The Assistant Buyer will provide administrative and analytical support to the procurement & supply chain team in providing support and advice to the organisation, enabling them to secure best value through effective buying in line with NNL procedures.
The roles can be based in either Warrington or Workington with agile working available to work from home. Job sharing / part time would also be considered for these roles.
Main Responsibilities for Assistant Buyer:
- Support the promotion and use of NNL’s procurement and contract management procedures
- Use Agresso system to issue Purchase Orders to suppliers, liaise with other departments to ensure Goods receipts are completed and invoices are paid
- Select appropriate contract terms & conditions for a controlled supply set in accordance with authorisation policies
- Carry out Requests for Quotation (RfQ) for low level purchases
- Engage with stakeholders across the organisation and act as first point of contact to the broader NNL community on procurement issues
- Support the procurement team on specified tasks, such as project meetings, set up of team meetings and maintaining project plans
- Release discrete low value / low risk Purchase Orders and those under framework agreements up to £25K
- Processing of higher value Purchase Orders where requested for authorisation as per delegated authorities
- Progress One Card requirements in line with the set guidance and controls
- Ensure adherence to all legislative, regulatory and company procedures and standards e.g. health, safety, quality, risk, security
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Assistant Buyer:
- Good Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Customer service skills
- Ability to effectively deal with a diverse range of people
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow instructions
- Good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Good IT Skills
- Ability to use Microsoft office, particularly Word and Excel
- Ability to achieve BPSS level clearance
Desirable Criteria for Assistant Buyer:
- Previous experience of working in a procurement team
- Previous experience of using IT systems to process requisitions / purchase orders
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory