Technical Support - Programmable Electronic System (PES)
The Programmable Electronic System (PES)Technical Support will report to the PES Manager and work across both Central and Windscale Labs responsible for providing front line technical support to the Infrastructure Compliance Engineering team assisting in delivering expertise in all Programmable Electronic Systems including equipment reliability, configuration management or other specialised subject matter needed to satisfy the multi-faceted needs of the organisation
The main responsibilities for the Technical Support (PES) will be:
- Responsible for development of pragmatic fit-for-purpose PES engineering solutions that meet the objectives of the organisation in a cost-effective manner.
- Support maintenance activities by implementing and maintaining the PES technical basis of maintenance (TBoM) process across both facilities, in addition they will assist with planning for complex maintenance activities based on insight and equipment experience.
- Accountable to the PES Manager for ensuring all maintenance tasks are clearly briefed, understood and are performed safely and on schedule to ensure safe operation of the facility.
- Comply with legislative, regulatory and company procedures and standards e.g. safety, quality, risk, security appropriate to the role.
- Responsible for ensuring the delivery of work complies with all site requirements and plant and personnel are operating within the safety envelope.
- Responsible for assisting in the production of any PMP’s required within Compliance Engineering, this will include presenting at committee.
- Supporting the PES Manager in installation, modifications and commissioning of installed equipment, including identifying and assisting in delivery of plant and process improvements.
- Responsible for producing appropriate Safe Systems of Work (SSOW) for any maintenance or breakdown tasks identified by the PES Manager.
- Attend any forums as appropriate to keep abreast of best practice around other facilities, responsible for sharing and implementing any learning around their facility.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills for the Technical Support (PES):
- Electrical & Instrument Apprenticeship, minimum HND qualification. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of stated qualification.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of PLC and SCADA or BMS systems
- Strong communications skills, ability to communicate key information with customers, suppliers and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of Programmable Electronic System frontline technical support.
- Ability to demonstrate conservative decision making, even in pressure situations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of operational & maintenance requirements.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Ability to interface on a technical level with Design and Capability teams.
- Requirement to become appointed as Safety Supervisor.
- Required to become PMP Manager.
- Requirement to become appointed as Sub Contractor Supervisor.
Desirable Skills for the Technical Support (PES):
- Hold IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent as a minimum qualification.
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area of responsibility.
- Ability to demonstrate supervisory experience for operations undertaken within a nuclear plant.
- Good general safety case awareness with demonstrable knowledge of nuclear safety mechanisms (SM), safety related equipment (SRE) and Safety Features (SF).
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory