Technical Support Officer
Job Description for Technical Support Officer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Technical Support Officer will be responsible for providing support and deputising for the Senior Technical Support Office.
They will be expected to cover operations at both Windscale and Central Laboratory on the Sellafield site.
They will deliver accurate and comprehensive administrative support ensuring the highest levels of administrative efficiency.
The ideal candidate will be a proactive person who holds good interpersonal skills, is detail orientated and able to work to stringent deadlines.
Main Responsibilities for Technical Support Officer:
- Support and deputise for the Senior Technical Support Officer in either Windscale or Central Labs with flexibility to cover either ensuring adequate team resilience
- Assist with monitoring changes in the Sellafield Ltd Management System (SLMS) and keeping the NNL Information Management System (IMS) compliant
- IMS Administrator - support and manage documentation on the IMS and deliver guidance and act on issues regarding operational documentation
- Checks compliance of all Safe Systems of Work (SSoW) procedures and reports/initiates any necessary remedial action
- Act as deputy for the administration of key operational committees including the production of quality minutes, notes for the record and meeting records that will maintain an auditable trail. Act as deputy Plant Modification Proposal (PMP) Co-ordinator
- Responsible for records retention and archive documents ensuring that all records are retained or removed as per the Records Retention and Disposition Schedule
- General Administration including ordering of goods, issuing and control of visitor passes, supporting site visits, arrange meetings, take minutes, monitoring and control of stationery supplies, one card holder, administrative support to building management
- Act as communications liaison between NNL leadership and the workforce by formatting and disseminating communications
- As part of training and development they will be expected to pick up additional roles such as Emergency Team Member, Building Controller, Radiation Protection Supervisor, Radiation Protection Supervisor (sources), Liquid Effluent Coordinator, Intermediate Level Waste Coordinator etc
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Technical Support Officer:
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proven experience of organisational skills and time management
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across the business
- Detail orientated and the ability to work to stringent deadlines
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience
- Strong communicator , able to elicit information from stakeholders at all levels
- Logical and methodical approach
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency)
- Ability to achieve monitored worker status
- GSCE’s (or equivalent) Maths, English & Science
Desirable Criteria for Technical Support Officer:
- Understanding of Sellafield Site License requirements
- Experience of working in nuclear industry
- Knowledge of compliance systems or writing and reviewing safe systems of work and associated documentation.
- Good knowledge of other MS office packages eg PowerPoint
- IOSH Managing Safely
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory