Technical Support Officer
The Technical Support Officer (Nuclear Materials Control Officer, NMCO) will operate NNL's Nuclear Material Control systems to support NNL project delivery in the Windscale Laboratory. Emphasis is on the smooth delivery of the Nuclear Material accountancy system in support of day-to-day operations and the key receipts and despatches of material; with the aim of a successful annual verification by the regulatory authority.
Main Responsibilities of the Technical Support Officer (NMCO)
- To input information (with respect to Nuclear Material, sources and non-fissile material) into ATOM to ensure that the locations, weights, isotopes and descriptions of all materials are recorded.
- Authorising and controlling all receipts and dispatches of nuclear material to and from the Windscale Laboratory.
- Authorising and controlling movement of nuclear material within the Windscale Laboratory.
- To authorise moves of fissile materials and check that operations involving fissile material do not breach the rules stated in criticality certificates.
- To produce consignment vouchers using data produced from ATOM to enable consignees to record relevant data into their accountancy systems.
- To carefully and systematically file all records associated with transactions to ensure full traceability and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- To undertake monthly inspections of criticality areas and to ensure that all materials are present and correct.
- To provide a low-level waste and non-fissile materials accounting system for the Windscale Site.
- To provide information to stake-holders on material stored in ATOM.
- To store and retrieve information and files from the NMCS Archive store.
- Carry out bi-annual stock takes of nuclear material.
- As part of training and development they will be expected to pick up additional roles as a Technical Support Officer such as: Radiation Protection Supervisor, Radiation Protection Supervisor (Sources), Plant Solid Waste Co-ordinator, Liquid Effluent Co-ordinator, Intermediate Level Waste Co-ordinator, etc
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Technical Support Officer
- Candidates must be capable of handling manual and computer data accurately with attention to detail.
- GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English.
- Good IT skills especially for databases and word processing.
- Good communication skills.
- Good record keeping skills.
- Logical and methodical approach to data processing and analysis
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Technical Support Officer
- Understanding of Sellafield Site License requirements.
- Competency or understanding in basic Criticality Safety & Nuclear Material Control.
- Basic understanding of software systems and their operation
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory