Technical Support Officer (Deputy Building Manager)
Job Description for Technical Support Officer (Deputy Building Manager):
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Technical Support Officer is responsible for the management and supervision of a number the facilities within the NNL’s Central Laboratory to allow the smooth and continued operation of these facilities; primarily as Deputy Building Manager They will be responsible for ensuring NNL’s compliance with a number of requirements and regulations governing the nuclear industry and its relevant Site Licence Conditions and at this grade they will act as the primary appointed person for a number of minor key roles and as deputy appointed person under supervision and direction of more senior staff for the Laboratory’s major key roles.
Main Responsibilities for Technical Support Officer (Deputy Building Manager):
- Act as Deputy Building Manager and Area Owner for the NNL’s Central Laboratory.
- They will also be required to provide additional coverage and support for the Windscale Laboratory to ensure adequate team resilience and flexibility.
- Some of but not all of:
- Provide support to the operations of the Liquid Effluent Handling Facility (LEHF).
- Provide support to the Central Laboratory Emergency Response Teams (Building Controller/Emergency Admin Support).
- Act as deputy for major key compliance roles including, but not exclusively: Fire Responsible Person, Legionella Responsible Person, Asbestos Co-ordinator, Plant Solid Waste Co-ordinator, Material Custodian and Liquid Effluent Co-ordinator.
- Act as lead appointee in minor compliance roles including, but not exclusively: Dangerous Goods Despatching Officer, Radiation Protection Supervisor (Sources), CoSHH Co-ordinator (Responsible Officer), OU Movements Officer.
- Check compliance of Safe Systems of Work procedures and report/initiate any necessary remedial action for their areas of responsibility.
- Provide advice and guidance on issues appropriate to operational documentation and associated Safe Systems of Work.
- Manage the Laboratory’s chemical inventory, database and associated procedures.
- Conducts audits and observations to monitor standards and affect remedial action where necessary.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Technical Support Officer (Deputy Building Manager):
- GCSEs or equivalent in Maths, English and Science.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent IT skills especially for spreadsheets, databases and word processing.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Technical Support Officer (Deputy Building Manager):
- Experience of working in the nuclear sector.
- Experience of outside compliance systems or writing and reviewing safe systems of work and associated documentation.
- IOSH Working Safely or higher.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory