Technical Support Manager (Nuclear Material Custodian)
Job description for Technical Support Manager (Nuclear Material Custodian):
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Technical Support Manager will manage a team of Nuclear Material Control Officers to operate NNL's accountancy systems in support of NNL project delivery at the Windscale Laboratory. Emphasis is on the smooth delivery of the nuclear material accountancy system in support of day-to-day operations and the key receipts and despatches of material; with the aim of a successful annual verification by the regulatory authority. As well as managing the team they will be expected to be appointed as Nuclear Material Custodian and Nuclear Material Control Officer amongst other roles.
Main Responsibilities for Technical Support Manager (Nuclear Material Custodian):
- To manage a team that is responsible for the control of information with respect to: nuclear material, sources and non-fissile material; and the material accountancy system to ensure that the locations, weights, isotopes and descriptions of all materials are recorded and available for investigation or review.
- To act as subject matter expert in matter relating to Nuclear Material Accountancy in Windscale Laboratory liaise with NNL project teams, SL site functions & statutory regulators as appropriate
- Responsible for authorising and controlling all receipts and dispatches of nuclear material to and from the Windscale Laboratory.
- Responsible for authorising and controlling movement of nuclear material within the Windscale Laboratory.
- To produce consignment vouchers using data produced from the material accountancy system to enable consignees to record relevant data into their accountancy systems.
- To carefully and systematically file all records associated with transactions to ensure full traceability and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- To undertake monthly inspections of criticality areas and to ensure that all materials are present and correct.
- To provide a low-level waste and non-fissile materials accounting system for the Windscale Site.
- To provide information to stake-holders on material stored in the material accountancy system.
- To store and retrieve information and files from the accountancy archive store.
- Carry out bi-annual stock takes of nuclear material.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Technical Support Manager (Nuclear Material Custodian):
- Proven record of managing or supervising high performing teams.
- Candidates must be capable of handling manual and computer data accurately with attention to detail.
- GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English.
- Good IT skills especially for databases and word processing.
- Good communication skills.
- Good record keeping skills.
- Logical and methodical approach to data processing and analysis.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Technical Support Manager (Nuclear Material Custodian):
- Understanding of Nuclear Site License requirements.
- Competency or understanding in basic Criticality Safety & Nuclear Material Control.
- Basic understanding of software systems and their operation.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory