Software Development Engineer
Job Description for Software Development Engineer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
There is an opportunity in the M&A instrumentation and in-situ analysis team for a Software Development Engineer. This will cover the demand for the secured hours as well as opportunities working for NNL’s Innovation programme, NDA estate projects.
The candidate must have software development skills and will be expected to work on C# .Net instrument operator interfaces and database software. Opportunities for training on programming language platform is available. A multi-disciplinary approach to system integration and problem solving within projects is required. It is advantageous that the candidate has knowledge of system design, system integration and testing, problem solving and able to modify existing code. A Degree in software engineering is required.
Main Responsibilities for Software Development Engineer:
- Be expected to problem solve projects and modify existing code.
- Motivated to develop the skills and abilities that can benefit the team and company.
- Where required, support the technical leads and Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) in delivery of projects.
- Work collaboratively across multi-discipline teams to achieve mutually beneficial goals.
- Designing software to underpin evidence for instrumentation and processes.
- In-role development opportunity.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Software Development Engineer:
- BEng Hons Degree in instrumentation or software engineering.
- Knowledge of C# .Net code for instrument analysis.
- Knowledge of requirements and system design, system integration and testing.
- Software processes for development.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Software Development Engineer:
- Knowledge of IOSH Managing Safely.
- Knowledge of nuclear safety mechanisms (SM), safety related equipment (SRE) and Safety Features (SF).
- Member of a professional institution.
- Full driving license.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory