Senior Technical Support Officer
Job Description for Senior Technical Support Officer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Senior Technical Support Officer will be responsible for providing compliance and technical support to the NNL Laboratories on the Sellafield Site. They will be expected to support and cover operations at both Windscale and Central Laboratory on the Sellafield Site. They will ensure the compliance of all the Safe Systems of Work (SSoW) procedures and support plant personnel in all relevant aspects of documentation, organisation and systems management.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in working in an office environment, be detail orientated and be able to work to stringent deadlines.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Technical Support Officer:
- Accountable for ensuring operational documentation and permissions are compliant with legislative, regulatory, company procedures and standards by liaising with plant personnel
- Checks compliance of all SSoW procedures and reports/initiates any necessary remedial action
- Produce, review, maintain and archive SSOW documentation, Work Control Forms and Plant Modification Proposals (PMPs) ensuring accurate records are maintained for future reference
- Deliver guidance and act on issues regarding operational documentation
- Proactively look to improve systems in the working area utilising best practice and will be expected to take the lead on SSoW delivery and improvement of the existing systems and documentation
- Accountable for the administration of facility security and safety management committees eg Management Safety Committee (MSC) and PMP, including the production of quality minutes that will maintain an auditable trail. Acts as facility Plant Modification Proposal Co-ordinator
- Information Management System (IMS) Administrator - responsible for the administration of documents on the management system within their area of responsibility
- Accountable for monitoring changes in the Sellafield Ltd Management System (SLMS) and keeping the NNL IMS system compliant.
- Accountable for records retention and archive documents ensuring that all records are retained or removed as per the Records Retention and Disposition Schedule
- Responsible for the issue of Visitor passes, building access and facilitating building inductions
- Act as communications liaison between NNL leadership and the workforce by formatting and disseminating communications
- Act as Nuclear Material Custodian , (responsible for ensuring that the systems for Nuclear Material control and record keeping in their area are functioning correctly )
- Support to Building Management to ensure reliance in the Building Management team
- Fulfil key Building Minimum Safety Manning roles eg Building Controller, Emergency Support Team Member
- As part of training and development they will be expected to pick up additional roles such as but not exclusively: Legionella Responsible Person & Asbestos Responsible Person etc
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Technical Support Officer:
- Strong Computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proven experience of organisational skills and time management skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across the business
- Detail orientated and the ability to work to stringent deadlines
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience
- Strong communicator, able to elicit information from stakeholders at all levels
- Compliance professional, educated to HNC level (or equivalent),
- Must demonstrate an ability to analyse and interpret complex information from several, sometimes conflicting sources, with a proven problem solving ability in order to make decisions based upon this information
- Logical and methodical, whilst able to multi task
- Ability to achieve monitored worker status
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency)
Desirable Criteria for Senior Technical Support Officer:
- Understanding of Sellafield Site License requirements
- Experience of working in nuclear industry
- Experience of compliance systems or writing and reviewing safe systems of work and associated documentation.
- Good knowledge of other MS office packages eg PowerPoint
- IOSH Managing Safely
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory