Senior Technical Support Officer (Consignment and Flasking)
Job Description for Senior Technical Support Officer (Consignment and Flasking):
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
Reporting to the Technical Support Manager (Consignment & Flasking), the role of Senior Technical Support Officer (STSO) (Consignment & Flasking) is pan NNL role and is required to ensure that compliance with all aspects of Dangerous Goods (DG) transport is maintained.
The STSO is involved in most areas of NNL programmes of work, aiding our customers (EDF, MOD, Sellafield Limited etc) to move their materials safely and compliantly into and out of our Laboratories.
While based at our Sellafield location, the role holder will need flexibility to cover all NNL locations, eg Preston and Workington where the movement of DG is required.
The STSO will deputise for the Technical Support Manager (Consignment & Flasking), in their absence.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Technical Support Officer (Consignment and Flasking):
- Appointed in compliance roles including, but not exclusively: Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA), Dangerous Goods Dispatch Officer, Radioactive Materials Coordinator.
- The provision of Subject Matter Expert advice to Customers and NNL employees via optioneering studies and package handling strategies on the use of new and existing transport packages within NNL facilities.
- Interfacing with the Customers, Site Licensee and Regulators to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Interfacing with: ONR, DfT and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Site Licence Holder Consignment Teams, Package Design Authorities.
- Ensuring that NNL transport packages, movement of all classes of DG, and Management System documentation remain compliant with National and International regulations and Site Licensee requirements.
- Acting as intelligent customer for procured services relating to DG transport activities and equipment.
- Monitoring changes in best practice and advising on improvements required in the management of Dangerous Goods (DG) transport activities.
- Reviewing DG transport related training provided by host sites and provide training to NNL staff involved in DG transport operations (including operators and maintainers) on the compliance requirements and management arrangements for DG transport.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Technical Support Officer (Consignment and Flasking):
- Current Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor certificate, (or has previously held this or knowledge of).
- Experience of working in an industrial environment.
- Experience of safe systems of work and associated documentation.
- IOSH Working Safely or higher.
- Excellent organisational and coordination skills.
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal records checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Senior Technical Support Officer (Consignment and Flasking):
- Experience of the nuclear industry.
- Knowledge of DG transport regulations.
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory