Senior Structural Analyst
Job Description for Senior Structural Analyst:
This is where your skills play a critical role in keeping everyone safe. Working in Safety, Security & Safeguards gives you the chance to make your mark on some hugely interesting projects. NNL does work that nobody else in the sector is doing, and this means we need experts like you to make it possible, whilst keeping everyone safe. We’re committed to using nuclear science to benefit society for years to come. This means that you can build a long and successful career here whilst playing a meaningful role in delivering cleaner energy, reducing waste and keeping colleagues and the public out of harm’s way.
NNL are looking to expand our existing team of engineers who perform structural analysis work to support our clients in the civil nuclear power industry.
The successful candidate will be required to carry out a wide range of structural integrity assessments using commercial finite element codes. This will include Impact Assessment Analysis, Fitness for Service, Fracture Mechanics and Remnant Life Assessments to appropriate British, American or European design codes.
The individual will be expected to manage all aspects of a technical project, which includes independent project delivery, commercial awareness and management of project staff. This role is client-facing so it is essential that applicants are able to demonstrate willingness and an ability to work directly with client engineers.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Structural Analyst:
- Understands and delivers NNL’s EHSS&Q and Assurance objectives.
- Develops a new customer base to help bring in new opportunities for the team.
- Manage their own workload and deliver high standards of technical work to time, cost and quality.
- Support project teams through providing hands on technical supervision and direction to help successful delivery.
- Ensuring all projects comply with team’s robust Quality Assurance standards.
- Maintain and improve the skills plan for the capability.
- Understand the R&D requirements for the area to support NNL’s S&T vision.
- Checking and authorising technical projects for the team.
- Mentoring and developing technical skills of younger members of the team.
- Strong academic links that can bridge the gap between research modelling tools and commercial tools.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Structural Analyst:
- M.Sc/Ph.D in Science, Mathematics or an Engineering subject.
- Demonstrable experience in working in technical teams whilst successfully delivering multiple projects within the nuclear industry or related transferrable industry.
- Technical breadth and depth of knowledge in the field of Structural Integrity (linear and non-linear static and dynamic assessments) and Heat Transfer
- Familiar with IAEA Transport Regulations.
- Expert in using commercial modelling tools such as Ansys Mechanical, Ansys APDL and LS-Dyna.
- Expert in using programming tools such as Python, MATLAB and Mathcad.
- Experience of developing and delivering strategic training plans to enhance the capability function.
- Experience in application of design code requirements to verify mechanical structures subject to finite element analysis.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Senior Structural Analyst:
- Experience in solving Structural Integrity challenges in relation to future generation Reactors.
- Experience with Fracture Mechanics, Life Assessment, Damage Tolerance Assessments, and Fitness.
- for Service Assessments using R5, R6, BS7910 or API-579.
- Evidence of peer reviewing technical work in the area of Structural Integrity and Heat transfer.
- Evidence of external publications in high impact journals.
- Familiarity with RWM and GDF disposal criteria.
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory