Senior Security Consultant
Job Description for Senior Security Consultant:
This is where your skills play a critical role in keeping everyone safe. Working in Safety, Security & Safeguards gives you the chance to make your mark on some hugely interesting projects. NNL does work that nobody else in the sector is doing, and this means we need experts like you to make it possible, whilst keeping everyone safe. We’re committed to using nuclear science to benefit society for years to come. This means that you can build a long and successful career here whilst playing a meaningful role in delivering cleaner energy, reducing waste and keeping colleagues and the public out of harm’s way.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, talented Senior Security Consultant who is an experienced leader in the provision of Security advice, particularly in the nuclear sector. You will join our growing Security team to help us deliver some of the UK’s most cutting-edge nuclear projects and support the development of NNL’s national reputation in the Security arena. Our work includes a diverse range of activity covering all aspects of security assessment and management for operational facilities during routine operations, and specifying future requirements during facility modification and design projects, including to next generation reactors.
As the UK National Nuclear Laboratory we have committed internal investment to an ambitious Security & Non-Proliferation (S&NP) Focus Area within which there will be opportunities to support the lab in thought-leadership, innovation, and external engagement with domestic and international partners. Security work areas include (but are not limited to): threat assessment, vital area identification, security vulnerability assessment; physical, technical and operational security; integrated security and defence in depth, addressing regulatory policy and guidance to operational facilities; security risk assessment.
If you are able to demonstrate a track record of leading the technical delivery of projects to time, cost and quality, the ability to work as part of a team and the integrity to deliver the right Security solutions for the project, then a role in NNL might be right for you.
The team you will join is dedicated, hard-working and passionate about the work they do. We support working flexibly, can accommodate homeworking, and can be flexible about location, although some travel will be necessary to support business needs.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Security Consultant:
- Provision of expert knowledge of security to colleagues, customers and other stakeholders, including keeping up to date with new developments in methodology and approaches.
- Leading technical delivery of security projects to time, cost, quality, value and service requirements.
- Development and management of effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provision of technical support to proposals for new work.
- Utilising your creativity and initiative to develop new capabilities through innovative approaches including technical leadership on complex R&D projects and submissions.
- Support and development of junior colleagues, including development of the team’s skills through mentoring and supervision as well as design and delivery of specialist training within the team and across NNL.
- Maintaining technical awareness of both NNL and external competitors’ capabilities within the broader Security area.
- Membership of relevant national industry group(s).
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Security Consultant:
- Degree qualified or equivalent level of demonstrable technical capability.
- Strong knowledge and experience with proven track record in the field of Security, particularly within the nuclear sector.
- Experienced in the provision of security support and advice to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to act independently, under own initiative.
- Excellent teamworking skills, with ability to inspire the work of the team.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate the threat, security requirements, etc. to non-security practitioners and decision-makers, whilst maintaining cognisance of information security.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Senior Security Consultant:
- Detailed knowledge of advanced Security techniques.
- Line management experience.
- Experienced in mentoring and developing technical skills and capability.
- Excellent networking skills, maintaining network across the Security field nationally.
- Membership of a suitable professional institution.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory