Senior Radiation Shielding Consultant
An opportunity exists for a senior shielding consultant to join this growing capability within the Nuclear Safety team. The team provides assessment, support and advice to a range of external customers, as well as supporting NNL’s own active facilities.
The successful candidate will have technical leadership responsibility for the effective delivery of shielding support to a variety of internal and external customers, including supporting the customer in setting the technical direction of the work. The successful candidate will be expected to ensure that a high-quality service to existing customers is sustained, overseeing the work and participating in the mentoring and supervision of less experienced members of the team.
- Technical leadership and delivery of nuclear safety projects for internal and external customers. This includes: (i) working with the customer to scope the technical direction of the work; (ii) technical delivery; (iii) supervision of junior assessors and QA checking; (iv) ensuring all assigned deliverables meet the agreed standards of time, cost and quality.
- Maintain and develop customer networks and act as an interface to deliver growth.
- To work to current internal and external guidance and best practice with a proactive approach in order to keep abreast of issues relating to nuclear safety (and thus maintain skills).
- Input to bids for new external work.
- Proven track record in the technical leadership and delivery of shielding assessment design, particularly in the provision of fit-for-purpose support services to agreed standards of time, cost and quality.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, as the role involves working closely with project teams covering a wide range of technical disciplines from both internal/external customers.
- Experience of training and mentoring personnel in shielding assessment techniques and methodologies.
The Ideal Candidate
- Self-motivation to work independently to meet challenging deadlines and an ability to logically and efficiently think through issues, enabling safe and cost-effective solutions to be achieved.
- Excellent organisational skills, as the role involves the management of delivery of work in accordance with programmes, including the supervision of other team members.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
National Nuclear Laboratory