Senior Project Manager
This is a Senior Project Manager position which will be responsible for the safe delivery of significant projects for the BEIS customer – as such the individual is expected to have an excellent track record of delivering complex Research and Development based projects over the years. As a Senior Project Manager, the individual will have line management responsibilities for a 8-10 member team of project managers and therefore will need to demonstrate experience of team management. This role also has an element of portfolio management in the form of being the Customer Workstream Lead across the projects NNL is delivering for Government.
The team are based at NNL’s Risley office, but the individual will be expected to travel regularly to our Preston Laboratory where several of the projects the individual will be managing are based.
- To deliver the project to the customer scope.
- To maximise revenue and profitability of the project.
- Co-ordination of proposal development and submission for endorsement
- Management of project risks and risk mitigation
- Provision of project forecast financial out turn
- Gathering customer feedback and sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE)
- Ensuring adequate Health Safety & Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out
- Managing change control within the project
- Financial authority as defined by delegated powers?
- Data evaluation and analysis and action upon the information.
- Provide line management to direct reports and leadership across the individuals within their reporting structure
- Manage the resources effectively to meet the business requirements and working with CWL’s to achieve effective deployment.
- Work with the PMA senior management to ensure forward resourcing requirements can be met through recruitment or contract supply.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Project Manager:
- Project Management professional qualification (e.g. APMP, Diploma APM, PMQ IPMA Level D).
- Experience in a Project / Programme Management capacity.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully leading and delivering medium-large scale / complex projects, in a Senior Project or Programme Management capacity.
- Demonstrable experience of change management and implementing this process in a complex programme.
- Demonstrable experience of Risk Management and implementing relevant industry best practise in a complex programme environment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of project delivery processes; life cycle management methodologies, and value adding tools, processes and practices.
- Ability to achieve BPSS Clearance.
Desirable Criteria for Senior Project Manager:
- Experience of delivering a range of projects in a nuclear environment, ideally including technical, infrastructure, and capital projects, including installations; commissioning, and management of safety case and/or regulatory requirements.
- Experience of delivering projects under different contracting models, e.g. NEC, JCT, etc.
- Demonstrable experience of team leadership / mentoring / coaching.
- Strong understanding of typical project delivery procedures, tools protocols and systems within a nuclear environment or equivalent regulated industry.
- Experience of Research and Development Programmes
- IOSH Qualification (Managing Safely)
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory