Senior Mechanical Engineer
Job Description for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you’ll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish — allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You’ll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
Primary focus will be to support resolution of emerging plant issues that require Engineering Design input at NNL’s Central Laboratory. This may involve a wide range of stakeholders and issues, from design substantiation, safety case modifications, plant breakdowns / failures, commissioning support etc.
The Senior Engineer role will be working as part of a small team of Design Engineers (Mechanical, CE&I, Process) to manage the resolution of these emerging issues from a design perspective.
- To undertake the delivery of engineering design packages to the required time, cost and quality under direction of Principal Engineer or Senior Engineers dependant on design delivery team structure.
- To provide skilled engineering support in his / her discipline.
- May supervise a small number of more junior engineers and/or drafting resources.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Sellafield or Workington.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Production of design deliverables (e.g. drawings, reports or calculations) to agreed standards of safety, cost, quality and time.
- Provide advice and guidance on issues appropriate to his / her discipline.
- Keep abreast of developments in his/her discipline.
- Develop the skills of others for the benefit of the company.
- Contribute to the development and application of appropriate technical and managerial processes and systems in his / her work area, under supervision.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and processes applicable to the role.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Graduate (min 2:1) in relevant engineering discipline with demonstrable design office experience OR lower professional qualification e.g. BTEC typically gained through apprenticeship) with demonstrable design office experience.
- Ability to obtain DV level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial, criminal record checks, interview plus 10 years of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- BS8888 knowledge.
About the Company
We are harnessing nuclear science to benefit society Our four key focus areas are; clean energy, nuclear medicine, environmental restoration and security and non-proliferation Working from seven unique facilities across the UK, our 1,400 colleagues combine their expertise to push the boundaries of science – improving the future for our planet and everyone on it.
Join us and discover a career where anything is possible.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory