Senior Mechanical Engineer
Job Description for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you’ll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish — allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You’ll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
This Senior Mechanical Engineer role will support a varied portfolio of engineering tasks and projects in the Windscale Laboratory to ensure the facility continues to deliver for NNL’s internal and external customers. The role holder will be part of a multidiscipline team and will be expected to provide solutions to engineering problems and issues encountered on the plant during normal operations, maintenance and breakdown phases of facility plant operations.
The role holder will be expected to provide a quick response to issues on plant, providing solutions that meet the required statutory site and national safety standards, comply with NNL’s integrated management system, and meet customer expectations to reduce plant downtime to a minimum.
The role will be based at the Windscale Laboratory, the role holder will be expected to work from site as the work demands. However NNL are operating a flexible approach to work and are encouraging remote working which will be agreed between the role holder and role holders line manager at the start of the contract.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Provide specialist design services to internal / external customers.
- Production of design deliverables (e.g. drawings, reports or calculations) to agree standards of safety, cost, quality and time.
- Contribute to the economic design of systems and equipment.
- Oversee the work of others and develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Provide advice and guidance on issues appropriate to discipline.
- Actively participate in the development and application of appropriate technical and managerial processes and systems in the area of work.
- Organise, supervise, monitor and develop the team to deliver successful outputs.
- Identify major technical uncertainties and refer them for decision by higher authority.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and processes applicable to the role.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Degree / HND in an Engineering discipline or closely related subject together with a good level of design office experience.
- Proven knowledge and experience in system and component fault finding in operational active and non-active nuclear facilities, preferable on the Sellafield site. This role is to provide fit for purpose engineered options and solutions from design and procurement through to return to operations to limit the time
- equipment is out of service due to faults, breakdowns or malfunctions. The Windscale Laboratory is focused on safely delivering customers scopes of work to agreed schedules, this role will support that objective and
- be expected to proactively reduce the likelihood of non-delivery of customers scopes of work.
- Proven knowledge and experience in the design, build, testing, installation, and commissioning of new plant systems and components, and modifications to existing systems and components, in active nuclear facilities. Examples of systems and components to be supported are mechanical handling equipment,mechanical safety systems and compressed air, water, and ventilation systems.
- Proven knowledge and experience following an accredited design process to deliver an assured designed that meets all required statutory site and national safety standards.
- Proven knowledge and experience of using the EU directives, British Standards and company standards and procedures.
- Proven knowledge and experience using AutoCAD and 3D CAD software such as Inventor, Vault, or Solidworks, together with Microsoft Office applications to provide fit for purpose engineered solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, to enable fit for purpose engineered solutions, ideas, and concepts to be clearly communicated to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
- Ability to achieve SC level clearance.
Desirable Criteria for Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Experience working in the nuclear sector on the Sellafield site, together with a working knowledge of Sellafield Site Procedures, Engineering Standards and Site License Conditions.
- Proven knowledge and experience of using Sellafield Ltd Engineering Standards in the design process and the Sellafield site drawing registry, CIMAGE.
- Knowledge and experience in producing mechanical and structural calculations to relevant industry design standards ie EU directives, British Standards.
- Knowledge and experience in the substantiation of mechanical equipment designated as safety equipment in a safety case to Sellafield Engineering Standards and produce substantiation reports to substantiate that equipment to the relevant standard.
- Knowledge and experience writing or supporting the production of Plant Modification Proposals (PMP’s) to modify equipment and plant on the Sellafield site.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory