Senior ECI Engineer
The role of the Senior ECI Engineer will work in the supply of remotely deployed equipment for use in active plant, underwater operations, radioactive waste size reduction & processing and decommissioning.
In addition, Senior ECI Engineers will also be involved in the design, build and operation of inactive test rigs to prove new technology, equipment and processes prior to deployment in active nuclear plant.
The main resposbilibities for Senior ECI Engineer:
- Use of AutoCAD 2D CAD design package for production of 2D detailed design drawings and schematics to the appropriate drawing standards for control panels, electrical equipment of machinery and instrumentation.
- Detailed technical and design calculations.
- Involvement with the build, installation, commissioning and operational support of plant-based equipment and inactive development test rigs.
- Development of prototype equipment and processes through to supply of end products.
- Preparation of product safety related documentation, e.g. risk assessments, method statements, operation & maintenance manuals.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role, including those required for CE marking.
- Provision of technical direction to technician and craft personnel.
- To provide electrical, control & instrumentation engineering consultancy and support for remotely operable systems and equipment for the nuclear industry.
- Liaison with suppliers and manufacturers, initiation and progression of the procurement process including production of procurement specifications through to delivery and inspection.
- Production of technical reports.
- Design, installation and commission of inactive test rig electrical building services.
- Survey and document plant-based equipment and systems including electrical building services.
- Technical direction to Design Engineers to produce accurate detail design work and supporting calculations for checking and approval.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on issues appropriate to their working area.
- Keep abreast of developments in their own field and applying them to designated work packages.
- Travel to other sites in order to attend project and customer meetings.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior ECI Engineer:
- Degree in Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Engineering or closely related subject and a relevant level of experience.
- Experience with 2D CAD design packages, preferable AutoCAD.
- Knowledge and experience of applying the legislative and regulatory requirements relating to engineering product development projects and CE/UKCA marking.
- A working knowledge of the relevant safety legislation and quality and environmental standards.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplined team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem solving, questioning attitude and solution seeking skills.
- Proactive approach to maintaining high safety and quality standards
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Senior ECI Engineer:
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartered Engineer.
- Knowledge of nuclear industry and plant operations.
- Experience in the development and operation of remote operations equipment.
- IOSH Managing Safely.
- Capable of attaining Laboratory Task Supervisor role.
- Good presentation skills.
- Strong and supportive team player.
- Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
- Ability to work and research independently.
- Capable of attaining Lead Engineer Role.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory