Senior Design Engineer (Mechanical)
To supervise a team (typically up to 5) of Design Engineers / Designers and draughting resources to deliver engineering design packages to the required time, cost and quality and personally undertake some of the more complex design tasks as required. To provide specialist engineering advice in their discipline.
• Provide specialist design services to internal/external customers
• Production of design deliverables (e.g. drawings, reports or calculations) to agreed standards of safety,
cost, quality and time
• Contribute to the economic design of systems and equipment
• Oversee the work of others and develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company
• Provide advice and guidance on issues appropriate to his/her discipline
• Actively participate in the development and application of appropriate technical and managerial
processes and systems in his/her work area.
• Organise, supervise, monitor and develop the team to deliver successful outputs
• Identify major technical uncertainties and refer them with potential solutions for decision by higher
• Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and processes applicable to the role.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Experience:
- Graduate (min 2:2) in relevant engineering discipline with previous design office experience
- OR lower professional qualification e.g. BTEC typically gained through apprenticeship) with typically demonstrable years design office experience.
- Chartered engineer status preferred.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
National Nuclear Laboratory