Senior Construction Coordinator
Job Description for Senior Construction Coordinator:
NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you’ll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish — allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You’ll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
The NNL Engineering Construction capability are looking for an experienced Senior Construction Coordinator to standardised construction and installation activities in our Workington laboratory.
The successful candidate will be the point of contact for all construction projects undertaken in the facility and may also be required to support construction projects on the Sellafield Nuclear site.
The projects will be varied and will range from facility upgrades, the installation of new research and development test rigs to the modification of existing rigs and services to support our future workload.
The primary role of the Senior Construction Coordinator is to support the Construction Manager in the execution of the construction phase of the projects. Taking responsibility for ensuring all contractors employed on our projects execute works in a safe and timely manner and adhere to all regulatory, management and contractual arrangements. You will deputise as the NNL Principal Contractor and NNL Construction Manager for the facility when required.
The role also includes the coordination and management of all temporary works, the production of construction strategies, construction phase plans and the estimating and scheduling of site works. The inspection and acceptance of the contractors completed works to the required engineering and construction design specifications, through to the production of handover documentation.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Construction Coordinator:
- The key area of accountability is to coordinate and ensure the safe delivery of all construction activities in Workington Laboratory.
- Other accountabilities:
- To ensure all specified construction and installation standards are met (Surveillance and inspection).
- To ensure site safety and safe working practices are adhered to and promote a positive health and safety culture in construction.
- To ensure that controlling documentation submitted by contractors for review and endorsement are commented on prior to the commencement of work and that monitoring of the contractors compliance with the controlling documents is undertaken.
- To ensure that resources used for construction are Suitably Qualified and Experienced (SQEP) and are managed cost effectively.
- To ensure that all construction activities comply with National Nuclear Laboratory and UK legal requirements, including Nuclear Site License Conditions (When required).
- To provide constructability input to the design process.
- The production and upkeep of construction phase plans and strategies.
- To ensure that harmonious Industrial Relations are maintained.
- Develop and improve relationships with key stakeholders.
- To improve construction safety performance and to meet company targets.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Construction Coordinator:
- (Equivalent experience can be offered in lieu if it is deemed appropriate by the NNL Construction Manager) HNC / ONC or equivalent in an engineering, electrical or construction discipline. Preferably from a trade background.
- Client-side experience working on nuclear construction/commissioning projects in a management/supervisory position, with experience in multi discipline contractor management and a detailed understanding of the CDM 2015 regulations.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, be a self-starter, able to take responsibility and work with minimum supervision, at times under pressure with excellent organisational skills; be able to multitask and re-prioritise to meet changing needs and project deadlines in a team environment.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Senior Construction Coordinator:
- NEBOSH construction certificate.
- Membership to a relevant professional body.
- Financially and commercially aware, with practical underpinning experience.
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory