There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The role of a Senior Buyer is to support the team in the delivery of agreed objectives by providing a quality Procurement & Supply Chain service compliant with the NNL Procurement Lifecycle and Public Contract Regulations. The postholder will deliver multiple procurements in parallel, ensuring that the resulting contracts protect NNL from unnecessary risk whilst delivering Value for Money and supporting NNLs Commercial contracts. The role will be based in Chadwick House with flexible working from home but will require travel to other NNL sites on occasions.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Buyer
- Support the Department in delivering its Strategic Objectives, taking responsibility for engaging with stakeholders to ensure early engagement and a teaming approach throughout the Procurement Lifecycle.
- Responsible for managing and delivering multiple sourcing strategies. This will include but not be limited to:
- Sourcing activities which generate benefits and achieve financial savings targets
- Ensuring procurement activities align with the NNL Purpose
- Market analysis and creation of markets where necessary
- Identification of internal and external cost drivers
- Preparation of tender documentation and agreement of associated evaluation criteria
- Drafting and negotiation of Supply Chain contract Terms and Conditions, ensuring Flowdown Terms are integrated appropriately.
- Support NNL’s bid process to ensure any sub-contract requirements are understood and underpinned as necessary
- Lead cross functional Sourcing Teams to undertake compliant procurements in accordance with the approved Sourcing Strategy, ensuring the team are aware of and adhere to their responsibilities.
- Negotiate contractual agreements with suppliers to ensure that service, quality, cost, security of supply and the deployment of the supplier capabilities in innovation are secured
- Liaise with Supply Chain Contract Managers to ensure that the contract requirements, KPIs etc are flowed down to the Contract Management Plan and that results are cascaded back into supplier performance reporting cycles.
- Prepare and deliver reports and presentations to the highest levels of the organisation, which are clear & concise on the information provided and the “ask” of the receiver e.g. For decision/Information/Action
- Support the collaborative procurement agenda by engaging with Shared Services Alliance Collaborative Procurement Leads, providing data and reports for inclusion in SSA Board reports for allocated categories of spend.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Buyer
- CIPS qualified to minimum Level 4
- Experience in EPC / Civils procurement
- Line Management experience, particularly in a fragmented team
- Experience in Public Sector procurement including a variety of procurement routes and knowledge of exemptions
- Extensive experience in drafting and implementing multiple forms of contract
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills at all levels
- Able to hold people to account and lead cross functional teams
- Able to manage multiple projects running in parallel through exceptional priority/time management
- Significant previous procurement experience with responsibility for delivery of procurement sourcing strategies
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to achieve BPSS Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Senior Buyer
- Significant experience of contract and supplier management
- A good technical appreciation of the range of procurement categories
- Project management skills / awareness
- Experience of working in a fragmented team across multiple locations
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory