Security and Resilience Support Officer
Job Description for Security and Resilience Support Officer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The purpose of this role is to maintain the operational security provision at either of the operational Laboratories on Sellafield site, to provide project support (as necessary) and to deliver the elements of the Pan-NNL emergency exercise schedule under the direction of the NNL Emergency Manager.
Whilst the role is Sellafield based, there is a requirement to maintain resilience pan NNL and so the role is inter-operable to deliver the above aspects across Central, Windscale and Preston Laboratories.
Hybrid working is an option but this role requires a basic level of knowledge before home working can be considered. Attendance is required to support operational requirements on site at least 4 days per week.
Main Responsibilities for Security and Resilience Support Officer:
- Own and manage the facility automatic access control system (AACS) including granting and denying access, reviewing access, confirming clearances, managing fault rectification, and ensuring the system is properly maintained.
- Identify and manage plant security vulnerabilities and incidents, including identification of mitigating actions, statutory reporting to and managing of the regulator, and execution of improvements and assurance activities associated with security functions.
- Develop and implement security arrangements to support project execution, plant maintenance and repair, and contingency requirements through the production and approval of Temporary Security Plans, Temporary Security Arrangements & Security Modification Proposals.
- Develop, gain approval and implement operational security arrangements for new security capabilities and ensure existing arrangements remain valid and reflective of industry and business relevant good practice.
- Advise staff on matters of security policy, procedure and requirements and ensure adherence.
- Support the development of Emergency Exercise Schedule(s) for Windscale Laboratory that provide adequate levels of training and exercising of emergency response teams, meet all regulatory and stakeholder expectations and provide proportionate coverage of emergency preparedness risks.
- Plan, execute and report on conventional safety, conventional security, nuclear safety and nuclear security exercises, in line with the approved exercise schedule, and implement improvements identified through this exercising.
- Engage with stakeholders, both internal and external, to support operations and deliver the operational security regime and emergency exercise schedule, including the Civil Nuclear Constabulary & Civilian Guard Force.
- Responsible for ensuring all emergency equipment and facilities including, Incident Control Centre, Access Control Point, Re-Entry Preparation Area or Building Control Point are maintained in a constant state of readiness.
- Proactive in Continuous Improvement: Promote best practice within the function by, for example, actively participating in Operational Experience Feedback (OEF) briefs and implementing learning identified from other facilities.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Security and Resilience Support Officer:
- Detail orientated, and able to work to stringent deadlines within a project delivery environment, whilst maintaining discretion at all times.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the Nuclear Industries Security Regulations (NISR 2003) and its applicability.
- Experience of security decision making and security systems management.
- Experience of implementing security modifications on the Sellafield site, including stakeholder management.
- High levels of integrity and the confidence to challenge the behaviour of others.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy, and resilience.
- Ability to communicate key information both verbal and written with customers, suppliers, and stakeholders.
- Ability to be appointed as Security & Regulatory Liaison Officer (SLO & RLO).
- Ability to obtain DV level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial, criminal record checks, interview plus 10 years of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Security and Resilience Support Officer:
- Experienced in working in a regulated environment.
- Experience of emergency planning in a major accident industry.
- Level 4 qualification (or equivalent experience) in an emergency planning or security discipline.
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area(s) of responsibility.
- Experience in Change Management including influencing and persuading large teams.
- Experience of working with sensitive information assets and the management of Classified Documents Registers.
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory