Safety Case Advisor
Job Description for Safety Case Advisor:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Safety Case Advisor within NNL supports the Safety Case Manager to ensure the company's continued compliance to all regulations governing the nuclear industry and Site Licence Conditions. The role holder shall be responsible for providing assurance that the preparation, implementation, management, maintenance and periodic review of the safety case is being undertaken in compliance with defined procedures.
This is a development opportunity and thus the salary is banded across the entire range for the role, a development plan will be put in place depending upon level of experience of the successful applicant.
Main Responsibilities for Safety Case Advisor:
- Prepare, deliver and implement safety case documentation, appropriate to the operations and/or plant area, ensuring that required standards of safety, cost, quality and time are met i.e. that the documentation is right first time.
- Present Safety Case documents to safety committees, licensee and other stakeholders such as regulatory bodies on behalf of the SCM (as required).
- Maintain safety case systems, and develop processes and procedures.
- Support and play an active role in the undertaking and completion of short and long term reviews of the safety case.
- Provide high quality Safety Case advice to the facility.
- Develop and own the nuclear safety performance dashboard.
- Deputise for the Safety Case Manager in areas where technical competence has been demonstrated.
- Secretary to the facility Management Safety Committee, cascade of accurate outputs to the licensee and regulators.
- Identify, participate and lead in improvement initiatives on Safety Case Processes.
- Look for, use and share learning from internal and external sources and from events and good practice.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of relevant legislative, regulatory and company policy, standards and procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Safety Case Advisor:
- Experience of undertaking operations within the conditions and arrangements of a nuclear safety case.
- Experience of cascading safety case components into procedures or undertaking assurance/audits against safety case arrangements.
- Detail focussed.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Safety Case Advisor:
- Experience of safety case assessment principles & methodologies e.g., DBA, PSA etc.
- Production of safety case documentation e.g., PSR outputs, FSC, PACSR, EIMT etc.
- Experience of undertaking periodic reviews of a safety case.
- Experience of safety case processes to control modification to plant or operations.
- Experience of safety case implementation and derivation of safety case strategies.
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory