NNL are pleased to provide a vacancy for a Chemist to support the Immobilisation Science & Technology team at Workington, Cumbria.
The team’s work focusses on research and development of encapsulation processes using cementation technology. This includes technical support to encapsulation plants and researching alternative encapsulants.
This role will involve working closely with other Technical Leads in the team and will require interaction with a range of internal and external customers.
The successful candidate should have a PhD in chemistry and have experience of working within a laboratory or rig hall based environment. It would also be beneficial to have an understanding of encapsulation technologies.
The position will provide opportunities for the successful candidate to author high impact publications and to be actively involved in knowledge exchange with the nuclear industry.
- Development of experimental work programmes
- Collect, analyse and interpret experimental data
- Experimental write-up and data reporting
- Interfacing with customers
- Work alongside project/programme managers and customers to ensure that work is delivered to time, cost, quality and safety requirements
- Provide support to develop the skills and abilities of other team members
- Ensures all relevant safety rules and procedures are applied
- Management of activities within a technical project and ensuring progress aligns with agreed timescales.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- Post-graduate qualification (PhD) in relevant field
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to work effectively with others
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Experience in the management of research programmes
- Membership of a professional Institute
- Experience in the management of small teams
- Familiarity with encapsulation technologies
- Working effectively with others
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.
National Nuclear Laboratory