Responsible for the successful delivery of technical and development projects including the establishment of project execution strategies; management of cross-functional project teams, and the safe and secure delivery of projects through the project life cycle, to time, cost and quality.
1. Maximise NNL’s performance against internal NNL & customer KPIs.
2. Manage the interface with customers with respect to matters relating to potential new work opportunities, and the delivery of contracted work, ensuring that there are agreed communications and reporting methodologies in place.
3. Engagement and management of a competent, effective and integrated Project Team, including management oversight , motivation and monitoring of the team’s performance; quality assurance; and addressing areas of under-performance.
4. Inputting into the bid / sales process for new work and assisting in the preparation and coordination of NNL proposals and submissions.
5. Provision of leadership; coaching, and support to other project team members as required.
6. Management of client feedback and placing actions to address any areas for improvement, and sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE).
7. Delivery of projects in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals, and objectives compliant with all relevant client, NNL, regulatory and legal assurance requirements.
8. Ensure adequate Health Safety & Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out, and that Nuclear Safety is not compromised.
9. Preparation of relevant health and safety related documentation for projects, and promote a health & safety aware culture.
10. Establishment of clear and robust communications and meeting strategies to ensure effective communication across the project team and key stakeholders; implementing regular reviews and controls to monitor project progress.
11. Provision of accurate and timely information and reports regarding the project status, activities and performance, both in terms of work activity and financial performance.
12. Ensures that change control processes and procedures are fully understood by all parties, including customers, and are rigorously enforced as required throughout the project delivery lifecycle.
13. Ensuring that financial performance is managed to achieve maximum revenue and profitability of the project.
14. Ensuring robust risk management protocols are in place to effectively manage and mitigate project risks to secure the project baseline costs and schedules; creation and maintenance of risk / RAIDS schedules; and the escalation of risks where appropriate.
15. Application of knowledge of all aspects of a project (engineering, procurement, quality control, etc.) to oversee the successful execution of the project plan.
The Ideal Candidate
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Project Management professional qualification (e.g. APMP, Diploma APM, IPMA Level D) or working towards.
Experience in a Project Management / delivery role (ideally as an Assistant Project Manager).
Demonstrable track record of successfully leading and delivering small-medium scale / reasonably complex projects.
Experience of using typical project management tools, processes & software.
Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Incl. MS Word, Excel, PPoint).
Ability to utilise project scheduling software for the purposes of controlling and monitoring project works, e.g. MS Project, EPM, Primavera P6, etc (ideal but not essential)
Demonstrable financial acumen and experience of using financial monitoring & performance tools / processes.
Experience of different contracting models, involving the management of commercial risks.
SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS
Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to deliver within a team environment.
Strong understanding of typical Project Management procedures, tools protocols and systems.
Relevant science, engineering or technical background.(Ideal but not essential)
Effective reporting writing experience & strong analytical skills.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
National Nuclear Laboratory