The proposed role is to provide technical support within the technical capability of Effluent and Environmental Chemistry in the provision of nuclear decommissioning and environmental clean-up services with an emphasis on nuclear effluent abatement processes. The available role is rig hall-based and will involve working closely with Technical Leads and will also require interaction with a range of internal and external customers.
- Technical support in the fields of effluent and environmental chemistry.
- The operation of pilot/concept rigs (eg sand bed filters, chemical precipitation, ultrafiltration) including troubleshooting.
- Support to experimental work programmes including sampling, sample preparation and physical and chemical analysis.
- Interpretation and presentation of results including contributions to Technical Memoranda and Reports.
- Work alongside project/programme managers and customers to ensure that work is delivered to time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Keep abreast of developments in their own field and apply them to projects.
- Training and development of self and other team members
- Support team to meet objectives
- Ensure all relevant safety rules and procedures are applied
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Experience:
Essential skills / Qualifications;
- Higher degree qualified in chemistry, chemical engineering or process chemistry with demonstrable previous experience
- Relevant post-graduate and/or industrial experience working in a rig hall / laboratory environment including the planning of experiments and interpretation of results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to discharge a predominantly rig hall / laboratory-based role.
- The ability to effectively mentor and coach junior colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Evidence of ability to plan and deliver work.
- Flexibility in dealing with changing workloads.
Desirable skills / qualifications additional to profile;
- PhD Qualified
- Track record of successfully developing work programmes with key customers
- Familiarity with abatement plant and /or environmental remediation technology
- Chartered by appropriate organisation
- Pre-existing technical understanding of effluent management and waste characterization in relation to nuclear applications is desirable, otherwise alternative technical knowledge and experience that is complimentary and hence an indicator of the ability to quickly pick this up.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
National Nuclear Laboratory