Principal Process Engineer
NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you’ll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish — allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You’ll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
The Engineering Design Team provides engineering design support across NNL and in the wider nuclear industry. We cover all aspects of engineering design such as optioneering studies, concept design, detail design, manufacturing, testing and installation. Our expertise includes the supply of active research and development rigs and analytical equipment, and the modification of existing nuclear process plant.
This role can be based at either Risley or Sellafield. Some national travel will be expected depending on project requirements.
This role can be flexible with time split between the office and working from home.
The role of the Principal Process Engineer is to lead a team of process engineers in the definition, implementation and delivery of specified work that achieves safety, functional and business requirements. To personally undertake some of the more complex design tasks as required. To provide specialist engineering advice in his/her discipline.
The main responsibilities for Principal Process Engineer will be:
- Taking a lead role in improvement projects/initiatives.
- Develop programmes of work and capital/resource requirements to successfully achieve project scope.
- The innovative development of engineered solutions from concept through to installation on active plants.
- Liaising with commissioning teams, safety assessors, facilities personnel, project stakeholders and other scientific/engineering disciplines as required to provide fit for purpose engineered solutions.
- Leading multi-disciplinary engineering teams to deliver engineering work packages.
- Approval of design packages for manufacture / construction / installation and commissioning.
- Checking and approval of calculations to support / underpin the design and authoring technical reports and design memos.
- Undertake the checking and approval of engineering work performed by others.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance on issues appropriate to their discipline.
- Ensure compliance with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
- Work alongside project / programme managers to ensure that work is delivered to meet time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Dealing with supply chain, from scoping requirements and authoring procurement specification through to overseeing contract delivery as necessary.
- Initiation and progression of the procurement process, including liaison with suppliers and manufacturers, through to delivery and inspection.
- Requirement to travel is expected, between NNL locations and customer and supplier locations.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills for the Principal Process Engineer:
- Chartered Engineer
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or closely related subject and a high level of experience in process engineering.
- Significant experience in the nuclear sector.
- In depth knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, quality and environmental requirements relating to engineering development projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, such that difficult concepts can be conveyed clearly and concisely to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience in dealing with supply chain, from scoping requirements and developing procurement specifications through to overseeing contract delivery as necessary.
- Proven track record of problem solving and seeking solutions.
- Experience of leading teams through Multi-disciplinary Design reviews and HAZOP reviews.
- Previous involvement in the production of Design Justification Reports.
Desirable Skills for the Principal Process Engineer:
- IChemE Fellowship.
- Knowledge of DSEAR, PER and PSSR Regulations
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
- Questioning attitude.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
National Nuclear Laboratory