Principal Design Engineer
The role of the Principal Engineer is to lead a team of discipline engineers in the definition, implementation and delivery of specified work that achieves safety, functional and business requirements. To personally undertake some of the more complex design tasks as required. To provide specialist engineering advice in their discipline.
- Ensure fit for purpose solutions meet agreed performance demands and documents define and preserve the design intent and are organised and align with the overall plant configuration.
- Ensuring project reports and deliverables are completed to agreed standards of safety, cost, quality and time.
- Ensure LFE is captured, disseminated and utilised.
- Provide complex specialist advice and guidance engineering services to multi-Site projects and internal/external customers.
- Lead the knowledge transfer and use of new technology developments.
- ensure that design, construction and commissioning solutions are fit for purpose, integrated & optimised, affordable and meet functional specification and execution plan.
- Ensure appropriate and adequate design standards and practices are deployed and deliverables and solutions generated are safe, legal and adequately underpinned.
- Ensure all necessary documentation is generated to meet safety and legal requirements that enable receipt on nuclear licensed site, installation, commissioning and taking into service of plant and equipment.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Principal Engineer:
- Minimum – (HNC typically gained through apprenticeship) with demonstrable years design office experience.
- Minimum – Incorporated Engineer
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Principal Engineer:
- Relevant engineering discipline with demonstrable design office experience (min 2:2).
- Preferred – MEng (Hons).
- Preferred – Chartered Engineer and Fellow
- NOTE: For both levels of registration, equivalent experience can be offered in lieu if it is deemed appropriate
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory