The role is within the Plant Inspection, Characterisation and Development team based at the NNL's Laboratory on Sellafield Site.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide plant inspection and development support to chemical process plant on the Sellafield Site. They should have a qualification in Materials Science or related subject, have excellent communication and presentation skills and be able to work effectively in a team.
- Provide expert advice on plant inspection tools and techniques, condition monitoring and lifetime assessment.
- Carry out on plant inspections/condition assessments using a variety of visual inspection and NDT techniques.
- Responding to ad hoc technical issues with advice or more formal technical reporting as appropriate.
- Produce technical documents with results of inspections together with recommendations.
- Produce technical papers for plant inspection and development topics and present them at conferences
- Peer review technical documents produced within the Plant Inspection and Development team.
- Represent NNL at Customer technical and commercial meetings.
- Develop proposals for inspection and monitoring techniques to address customer requirements.
- Develop deployment techniques and tooling to access difficult/harsh environments.
- Generate new and innovative ideas for exploitation via customer funding, internal R&D and technology commercialisation.
The Ideal Candidate
- A degree in a materials science, mechanical engineering or chemical engineering or HND/HNC in above with significant experience.
- Demonstration of a positive attitude to safety, security and other EHSS&Q requirements.
- Ability to solve customer related technical issues with a pro-active and flexible approach to customer support and project delivery to ensure requirements and expectations are met or exceeded.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Proven experience of writing high quality technical reports capturing results and recommendations.
- Ability to work in a team.
- A PhD in a relevant materials science or engineering based discipline.
- A good understanding of the NNL business, its role in the nuclear industry and the challenges it is likely to face in the future.
- Some existing knowledge of Sellafield reprocessing, waste treatment and decommissioning operations.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
National Nuclear Laboratory