Operations Compliance Officer
Job Description for Operations Compliance Officer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
We are looking to recruit an Operations Compliance Officer (OCO) within the Preston Compliance Team. For the right candidate, we are also open to this being a development opportunity. OCOs area responsible for ensuring that all operational activities are performed safely and comply with the Nuclear Site Licence conditions, Regulatory and Legislative requirements for areas under their control. OCOs interface with a variety of subject matter experts, safety disciplines and technical personnel to make informed decisions in undertaking effective and efficient authorising of work, control and supervising the broad spectrum of operational activities as well as undertaking facility wide assurance activities.
The OCO team control all operations and thus will be providing guidance and advice to the wider business (technical and project teams) in ensuring understanding of the plant safety case to support project delivery.
Main Responsibilities for Operations Compliance Officer:
- Ensuring documentation is compliant with the plant safety case/legislation/licence conditions etc for their areas(s) of responsibility.
- Auditing a broad array of processes and standards including, but not limited to: risk assessments, permissioning documentation, housekeeping, Site Safety Instructions, chemical inventory and managing and corrective actions raised.
- Undertaking regular plant inspections, Task Observations and Behavioural Safety Observations.
- Training to become a Duly Authorised Person (DAP).
- Training to become a Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) to support the Health Physics team.
- Training to support the Waste and Environmental Manager.
- Training in nuclear inventory management to support the Material Custodian (MC).
- Engaging in Continuous Improvement projects.
Following training and DAP appointment:
- Delivering effect control and supervision of operations as a DAP.
- Responsible for the provision of a safe and secure plant in their areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for providing up front support, peer review and authorisation of all work packages (routine or non-routine) for their area(s) of responsibility.
- Applying Conservative or Operational Decision Making (CDM/ODM) when fault conditions arise.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for their area(s) of responsibility they shall keep abreast of all applicable Rules and Regulations and manage their application.
- Responsible for controlling all access under defined security arrangements for their area(s) of responsibility.
- The primary point of contact for any incidents / events occurring within their area(s) of responsibility to take control of and manage the situation.
- Authorised signatory to release their plant for maintenance and accept back into operations.
- Responsible for oversight of material movements (non-active or radioactive) within their area(s) of responsibility.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Operations Compliance Officer:
- Degree/HND in a scientific discipline. Relevant experience will be considered in lieu of stated qualifications.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Ability to demonstrate conservative decision making, even in high pressure situations
- Experienced using standard Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate key information both verbal and written with customers, suppliers and stakeholders.
- Experience within laboratory environments working to relevant legislation, regulations and standards (e.g COSHH).
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Operations Compliance Officer:
- Ability to demonstrate supervisory experience for operations undertaken within a high hazard industry.
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area(s) of responsibility.
- Experience of application of safe systems of work.
- NEBOSH General Certificate.
- Experience in incident control and emergency response.
- Experience with Integrated Management Systems.
About the Company
We are harnessing nuclear science to benefit society Our four key focus areas are; clean energy, nuclear medicine, environmental restoration and security and non-proliferation Working from seven unique facilities across the UK, our 1,400 colleagues combine their expertise to push the boundaries of science – improving the future for our planet and everyone on it.
Join us and discover a career where anything is possible.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory