The role of the Operations Accountant involves being a key member of the Business Finance team, the role will directly report into the Finance Business Partner providing financial support across the delivery operations cost centres. Key responsibilities will include maintaining cost control, supporting forecasting & budgeting, month end duties and regular review and reporting.
Main responsibilities of an Operations Accountant
- Accounting lead across cost centres in Delivery Operations, Infrastructure and Compliance. Key support to Heads of capabilities with regular communication and attendance of team meetings.
- Support the development of quick, accurate and accessible management information for all key stakeholders with a range of daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports. This will include the reporting of key performance KPI’s and metrics e.g. customer recovery, availability, headcount.
- Support the ongoing forecasting and budgeting process within the company. This will include attendance of project reviews, supporting micro level forecasting and the macro consolidation to work stream level.
- Cost control and governance – to ensure that all costs are managed and controlled in line with NNL’s internal control policies and procedures.
- Month End – Supporting the finance team to achieve month-end deadlines demonstrating accurate accounting records, accruals and internal controls and close liaison with teams and senior management. Key focus will be on accurate accounting of all overhead costs and resource recoveries.
- Build strong relationships with all key stakeholders including as well as having a key role in the continued education of non-finance stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Operations Accountant
- Part Qualified Level or above.
- Very strong excel skills and ability to work with large quantities of data essential.
- Experience of providing financial support to operational managers in a project environment
- Strong communicator, able to elicit information from stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to translate detailed and complex information into concise and coherent management information.
- Must be diligent and use own initiative to resolve issues.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships within the finance team and across the business.
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Operations Accountant
- Current CIMA/ACCA Studier
- Knowledge of major Finance ERP systems (Agresso would be a bonus).
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Good knowledge of other MS Office packages Word and PowerPoint
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory