Mechanical Technical Support
Technical Support are responsible for providing Engineering support to the Lab Ops Engineering team to assist in delivering expertise in general plant, system, equipment reliability, configuration management or other specialised subject matter needed to satisfy the multi-faceted needs of the organisation.
• Responsible for development of pragmatic fit-for-purpose engineering solutions that meet the objectives of the organisation in a cost-effective manner
• Support maintenance activities by implementing and maintaining the technical basis of maintenance (TBoM) process, in addition they will assist with planning for complex maintenance activities based on insight and equipment experience
• Accountable to the Windscale Team Manager for ensuring all maintenance tasks are clearly briefed, understood and are performed safely and on schedule to ensure safe operation of the facility
• Comply with legislative, regulatory and company procedures and standards e.g. safety, quality, risk, security appropriate to the role
• Responsible for ensuring the delivery of work complies with all site requirements and plant and personnel are operating within the safety envelope
• Responsible for assisting in the production of any PMP’s required within Windscale Lab Ops, this will include presenting at committee.
• Supporting the Mechanical Team Leader in installation, modifications and commissioning of rigs and installed equipment, including identifying and assisting in delivery of plant and process improvements
• Responsible for producing appropriate Safe Systems of Work (SSOW) for any maintenance or breakdown tasks identified by the Team Leader
• Attend any forums as appropriate to keep abreast of best practice around other facilities, responsible for sharing and implementing any learning around their facility
The Ideal Candidate
• HNC or HND in appropriate mechanical discipline, relevant experience may be considered in lieu of stated qualifications
• Hold IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent as a minimum qualification
• Ability to demonstrate supervisory experience for operations undertaken within a nuclear plant
• A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area of responsibility
• Strong communications skills, ability to communicate key information with customers, suppliers and stakeholders
• Ability to demonstrate conservative decision making, even in pressure situations
• Demonstrable knowledge of operational & maintenance requirements
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
National Nuclear Laboratory