The Mechanical Craft is responsible for carrying out safe, quality and efficient maintenance/breakdown & project activities within Central Laboratory. They shall ensure all activities are being undertaken in a safe and complaint manner, to meet all requirements of the Nuclear Site Licence (as applicable) and all Regulatory and Legislative purposes.
The main responsibilities for the role of Mechanical Craft will be:
- Responsible for performing routine EIM&T, breakdown, recovery maintenance on maintainable assets as instructed by the Team Leader
- Responsible for undertaking any mechanical associated project work as demand necessitates.
- Responsible for carrying out safe, effective and controlled isolations of Mechanical Plant within their designated area. They shall be responsible for flagging any issues up immediately to the Mechanical Team Leader
- Responsible for completing MOVEX job cards in accordance with site standards to ensure that good quality maintenance history is recorded.
- Responsible for supporting the designated facility in the installation, modification and commissioning of rigs and installed equipment, including identifying and assisting in delivery of plant and process improvements.
- Responsible for ensuring that the maintenance/breakdown/project tasks they are involved in are always covered by an appropriate Safe System of Work (SSOW) and complied with.
- Responsible for checking and fully understanding the Maintenance Instructions/Proof Tests that they are working to. If unsure at any point during delivery, they shall stop, make safe and highlight any issues to the Mechanical Team Leader.
- Responsible for ensuring that appropriate workplace standards are always maintained, and the correct tools and equipment are selected for the task and used only as intended.
- Expected to actively participate in team briefs and LFE reviews taking personal action to resolve any issues or shortfalls in their area. If further resolution is required, they must engage the Mechanical Team Leader.
- Always comply with company/site standards and expectations of behaviour and performance. They must actively challenge others they see not doing so and encourage the behaviours expected. Where appropriate, they shall raise the event on OSHENs. The individual shall deliver their personal targets as identified by the Mechanical Team Leader.
- Responsible for attending all training identified by the Mechanical Team Leader or Training Dept. to ensure successful continuation of their SQEP appointments.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential skills for the role of Mechanical Craft:
- Holds a time served recognised Mechanical Craft Apprenticeship
- Proven ability to interpret electrical engineering drawings
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s
- IOSHH Working Safety
- Safety Case awareness – knowledge of Safety Mechanisms (SM), Safety Related Equipment (SRE) and Safety Features (SF)
Desirable skills for the role of Mechanical Craft:
- Required to become Appointed Nominated Person Mechanical.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Operation & Maintenance requirements associated with their area.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Ability to demonstrate correct and informed decision making, even in pressure situations.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory