Market Analyst (Technology)
The post holder will be responsible for conducting comprehensive analysis of emerging technology markets, including tend & competitor analysis, in order to identify and recommend priority investments.
They will be expected to apply this robust analysis to both support and develop business cases used to inform investment in new markets, technologies, products and services, in addition to developing strategies with a view to realise value from these opportunities. This includes assessing technical development from low to high TRL. Such an approach is essential to ensure that NNL has the tools and expertise to support national and international nuclear programmes in the future, achieving its ambition of becoming a world leading provider of nuclear expertise and innovation.
This is a stretching and influential role at the heart of NNL’s strategic centre, with the post holder having direct impact on the development and implementation of NNL’s future growth strategy. It will therefore be essential to adopt an integrated approach to understanding and meeting the needs of NNL as both a commercial business and national laboratory, with the post holder expected to work collaboratively. This includes working closely with the VP Innovation, Science Ambassador, and Customer function in order to assess the market potential of new and emerging science and technology development opportunities and inform their respective programmes and strategies.
The post holder is also expected to work closely with NNL’s ‘living network’ of academic collaborators and other national laboratories to ensure our growth ambitions remain on the cutting edge of science and technology.
With the Global Insight function and market analysis capability within NNL in its infancy, the post holder will bring considerable experience of the tools and techniques required to conduct analysis of technical markets.
- Evaluate, review and analyse emerging technology markets worldwide to provide insight for the shaping of NNL’s strategic development
- Support strategic investment priorities based on comprehensive market analysis
- Interpret analysis, assess options, and recommend priorities for investment in technology, facilities/equipment and technical skills
- Recommend priority corporate development opportunities and work with the Senior Strategic Advisor and VP Global Insight to secure endorsement from Executive/Board
- Assess the value and impact of investment in technology against their projected value
- Ensure that NNL’s IR&D, facilities/equipment and technical skills programmes appropriately reflects priority areas of big science and technology that are emerging worldwide
- Support and inform the development of the S&T strategy in conjunction with other Analysts and the Science Ambassador
- Contribute fully to the effective sharing of intelligence and information with other boundaries
The Ideal Candidate
You will have:-
- Experience of strategic and technical market and trend analysis, including development and application of appropriate toolkits
- Experience of extracting, analysing and interpreting information from a range of external and internal sources, and using this to inform business planning
- Deep business understanding and strong financial acumen
- STEM experience with understanding of nuclear science & technology and/or associated markets is a bonus
- Experience of the challenges associated with translating technologies from low to high TRL, including barriers to deployment
- Understanding of the opportunities presented by innovation, including cross-sector knowledge transfer
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory