Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Job Description for Lead Infrastructure Engineer:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Lead Infrastructure Engineer will report to the Infrastructure Manager; they will provide assurance that all Infrastructure change activities are being undertaken according to NNL design standards and in line with industry best practice.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced project engineer who can understand complex designs, is able to take ownership of technical assets and capable of technical mentorship for the Infrastructure Support Engineers and Infrastructure Engineers.
Main Responsibilities for Lead Infrastructure Engineer:
- Accountable to Infrastructure Manager for IT infrastructure, lifecycle, upgrades, and configuration changes in line with good industry practice and NNL governance processes.
- Technical lead for Hybrid On-Prem/Cloud Network and Server Infrastructure.
- Preparing submissions for CAB; delivering standard and emergency change requests.
- Accountable for building and configuring new infrastructure as required or validating the builds of others.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and remediating problems with the infrastructure.
- Accountable for escalations from Infrastructure Engineers or Service Desk Manager.
- Supporting architects and, where agreed, approving designs as part of ARB process.
- Required to work out of hours (flex) and being on call (recompensed) on an agreed rota.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Lead Infrastructure Engineer:
- Experienced Infrastructure Engineer.
- Experienced in complex business and application environments and interdependencies.
- Highly experienced in virtualised infrastructure, Hyper-V, VMWare, Azure and Cloud Services such as Azure PaaS, SaaS, InTune and Office 365 Administration.
- Practical experience in network management.
- Practical experience in Storage Solutions, Backup and Replication Services (DFS, VEEAM, ASR).
- Experienced with security controls including (SIEM, Vulnerability Scanning, Server and Client Security, Cloud Proxies and Azure Security Centre).
- Good working knowledge of PowerShell, Automation, Azure Runbooks and Blueprints.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements.
- Self-motivated, proactive and customer focused with excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory