Health and Nuclear Medicine Technology Manager
Job Description for Heath and Nuclear Medicine Technology Manager:
NNL is where you’ll experiment to help solve global challenges. As part of our Waste Management & Decommissioning capability, your work will impact the lives of generations. By finding new ways to avoid, reduce, store and treat nuclear waste, and drive down the cost of decommissioning, you’ll help to deliver cleaner energy and influence our nation’s energy future. You’ll face new challenges every day, working in unique locations on ground-breaking projects. Whichever area you specialise in this is a place to do great science for a good cause.
This is a unique opportunity to join NNL’s Waste and Residue Processing team at an exciting time of growth. We’re embarking on a new venture in establishing a Health and Nuclear Medicine (H&NM) capability as one of NNL’s four Strategic Focus Areas.
This role will directly contribute to leadership of the growing H&NM programme. The role involves working closely with the Senior Technology Manager and Focus Area Lead in defining and shaping the technical direction for the programme.The role will involve oversight, supervision and some delivery of active laboratory work, as well as interaction with a range of internal and external stakeholders, and direct support to the Capability Manager in developing the skills base of the new capability.
Although the primary focus will be within H&NM, the role will sit within the Waste and Residue Processing team, so there will be a requirement to develop a broad understanding of and align with the team’s wider capability.
Main Responsibilities for Heath and Nuclear Medicine Technology Manager:
- Working alongside the Senior Technology Manager, provide technical direction to the overall H&NM programme, including as a member of the H&NM Steering Board
- Maintain a broad overview of the H&NM field and work alongside the Senior Technology Manager and Focus Area Lead to ensure NNL’s strategy is responsive to external developments
- Utilise chemical and radiochemical expertise to develop and define objectives for H&NM projects, ensuring alignment with the overall programme aims
- Act as Technical Lead for projects within the H&NM programme, ensuring work is delivered to the required time, cost and quality; work closely with project managers to agree expectations for project delivery, highlighting any challenges to delivery and offering solutions
- Act in the capacity of Task Supervisor for laboratory work, utilising chemical and radiochemical expertise to define and uphold safety and quality standards
- Working alongside the Capability Manager, develop and own a H&NM Skills Plan, identifying skill needs for the area and the required activity to address, and tracking progress with implementation, actively developing own and other team members’ knowledge and skills
- Take a lead role in defining and implementing the team’s improvement and assurance activity
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Heath and Nuclear Medicine Technology Manager:
- PhD level qualification in chemistry or other directly relevant subject (or alternative equivalent research and development experience)
- Demonstrable experience of successful technical management of complex radiochemistry projects to meet customer requirements, preferably within the nuclear industry
- Significant practical radiochemistry experience, particularly within separation science and process chemistry
- Significant theoretical radiochemistry knowledge gained through technical development work
- Excellent and demonstrable understanding of the need to align R&D objectives with customer demand
- Demonstrable commitment to high levels of safety and quality, with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communicator and ability to build relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Experience of effective and active stakeholder management to ensure appropriate level of engagement Experience of supervising junior team members
- Demonstrable commitment to own personal development and seeking out new knowledge, knowledge sharing and to developing junior team members
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional institute
- Ability to achieve SC clearance
Desirable Criteria for Heath and Nuclear Medicine Technology Manager:
- Team leadership experience
- Achieved or working towards Fellowship of a relevant professional institute
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory