Engineering Technical Author
Job Description for Engineering Technical Author:
NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you’ll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish — allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You’ll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
Currently recruiting Technical Author to work within our Compliance Engineering Teams at Central and Windscale Lab. You will be degree qualified or HND with demonstrable experience engineering experience and a confident decision maker with experience of supporting a multi-disciplined engineering department. You will be responsible and accountable for collating the correct standard of technical information from a variety of sources including manufacturers/suppliers and SMEs (Subject Matter Experts). They will also be responsible and accountable for updating current Engineering documentation to the highest quality for internal use supporting multi discipline engineering teams. The ideal candidate should have the ability to express instructions clearly and briefly in simple language, should be able to understand and structure large amounts of information and be able to anticipate a reader’s knowledge gap.
Main Responsibilities for Engineering Technical Author:
- Responsible for producing high quality documentation that conforms to current company policies and adheres to Site License Conditions.
- Accountable for updating and controlling all Engineering documentation held on NNLs Integrated Management System.
- Responsible for attending planning meetings and briefings to collect and edit complex information to support the preparation of documents.
- Responsible and accountable for owning and managing the relevant facility’s technical basis of maintenance (TBoM) process.
- Support Engineering teams by identifying and driving improvements across the facilities relating to Engineering Document control.
- Responsible for facilitating any Engineering Operational and Conservative Decision-Making meetings and tracking associated actions to close out.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling, and tracking documentation work to meet the Engineering requirements for the relevant facility.
- Responsible (where applicable) for producing SQEP packs to support the development of the Engineering teams.
- Responsible (where applicable) for producing Risk Assessments and WCAs to assist with maintenance delivery.
- Responsible for assisting in the production of engineering documentation in support of any internal/external regulatory interventions.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining engineering aids that go beyond traditional documentation, such as online video, demos, guided tours, and other educational techniques.
- Accountable for Proof-reading of all Engineering documentation ensuring all deliverables meet the required standard.
- Responsible for collaborating with external suppliers/contractors to clarify any technical issues.
- Responsible for assisting in the production of any PMPs required within Compliance Engineering, this will include presenting at committee.
- Attend any forums as appropriate to keep abreast of best practice around other facilities, responsible for sharing and implementing any learning around their facility.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Engineering Technical Author:
- Degree Qualified in an Engineering Discipline (Mechanical or Electrical) or HND with extensive Engineering experience may be considered in lieu of stated qualification.
- Demonstrable experience engineering experience in either a Mechanical or Electrical discipline.
- Experience of continuous improvements and proactively implementing changes to Engineering documentation controls.
- Confident decision maker with experience of making key engineering improvements across all Engineering functions.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills, including willingness and ability to consult with engineering subject matter experts.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to prioritise and work on multiple workstreams.
- Ability to communicate instructions and information clearly, accurately and in language that is easy to understand.
- Good written English skills including technical and procedural language typical in Compliance and Maintenance Engineering teams.
- Experience of Microsoft Office software sufficient to format documents in line with established templates.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Experience of gathering information from subject matter experts to develop, organise an write procedure manuals & technical specifications.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Engineering Technical Author:
- Strong experience of owning an end to end documentation creation process.
- Demonstrable knowledge of operational & maintenance requirements.
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area of responsibility.
- Good general safety case awareness with demonstrable knowledge of nuclear safety mechanisms (SM), safety related equipment (SRE) and Safety Features (SF).
- Requirement to become appointed as PMP Manager.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory