Discipline Lead Engineer
To establish and maintain a competent discipline design engineering community staffed by suitably qualified and experienced (SQEP) resources required to deliver NNL commitments and to guide development and delivery of pragmatic, fit-for-purpose designs within their discipline for all NNL projects ensuring compliance with all relevant
We are looking for an EC&I Discipline Lead Engineer who could be based at Risley, Sellafield or Preston sites.
- Developing, maintaining and sustaining the discipline-specific engineering capabilities needed to deliver the engineering function.
- Guide development of pragmatic, fit-for-purpose designs within his/her discipline for all projects.
- Personally deliver pragmatic, fit-for-purpose designs within his/her discipline for projects as required.
- Ensuring, by individual assessment, that the discipline engineering staff deployed to the business are suitably qualified and experienced (SQEP) and capable of fulfilling their assigned roles.
- Acquiring and allocating internal discipline design resources, enabling resource mobility, and optimising resource deployment to maximise value.
- Working to develop, maintain and apply discipline-specific engineering procedures, standards and guides.
- Recommending discipline engineering Supply Chain capability requirements and links with parent companies and professional bodies to develop a strategic network of resources and ready access to subject matter experts.
- Selection, SQEPing and appointment of Principal Engineers and their direct / indirect reports.
- The leadership, mentoring, health, safety, career development and performance management of discipline resources.
- Ensuring that an appropriate discipline design engineering related Intelligent Customer capability is maintained.
- Providing consultancy support and advice to projects ensuring that Design Authority duties are adequately discharged within projects.
- Ensuring that appropriate single discipline design reviews are carried out and multi discipline design reviews are supported in a timely manner.
- Providing consultancy support, advice and guidance on discipline Design Engineering matters.
- Providing discipline Design Engineering support to ensure that design engineering related risks are identified and mitigation plans developed.
- Supporting communication and liaison with regulators.
- Reviewing pertinent discipline specific legislation and ensuring that relevant requirements are incorporated in engineering procedures.
- Collation and dissemination of discipline specific LFE.
- Control of discipline specific financial forecasting, budget control and reporting.
- Selection of standard technologies to be used in projects and discipline design approaches to be used on specific projects
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum – HNC.
- Preferred – MEng (Hons).
- Minimum – Incorporated Engineer.
- Preferred – Chartered Engineer
For both levels of registration, equivalent experience can be offered in lieu if it is deemed appropriate by the Head of Engineering.
- Demonstrable experience working within a regulated and quality assured system (preferably nuclear) in an Engineering / Discipline Lead role.
- Extensive and broad experience working within a regulated and quality assured system (preferably nuclear) in roles where professional engineering judgement is the key attribute.
- Wide breadth of knowledge, covering most if not all facets of their disciplines’ competencies.
- Deep depth of knowledge, considered Subject Matter Expert, in at least one of their disciplines’ competencies.
Will have a high level of competency in the following areas:
- Delivering Engineering Solutions
- Managing engineering processes
- Delivering Quality
- Management of Safety
- Engineering Planning
- Cost Estimating
- Managing Suppliers & Contractors
- Knowledge of management systems
- Knowledge and interpretation of regulatory req
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
National Nuclear Laboratory