Deputy Programme Technical Lead
The NNLs Defence Materials team supports a number of large, long-term projects on behalf of several of its major customers. The team provides information on the performance of reactor materials supporting the ongoing operation of the UK reactor fleets. This role will be primarily based within the Cumbria area, but may also include periods at other NNL and customer sites. The role offers the opportunity to take on a Deputy Programme Technical Lead position in a long-term defence project, leading the remote inspection and analysis of irradiated materials.
- Accountable to the Programme Technical Lead to support the technical delivery of major PIE programmes in the defence area, making best use of available technologies and responding to evolving Customer demands;
- Accountable for performing technical lead reviews and verification and approvals of selected reports generated within the defence area, ensuring that appropriate challenge is provided and that the relevant procedures are followed;
- Ensure technical quality and rigor of work carried out in accordance to the NNL Technical Manual;
- Responsible for ensuring that the quality assurance arrangements in place are sufficient to assure the quality of results;
- Ensure adequate technical supervision of work is provided within the area;
- Ensure the technical content and quality of deliverables meet the “Customer’s” expectations;
- Support the Customer Work Stream Lead, Senior Project Managers and Project Managers in reviews of projects to identify lessons learnt, be proactive and make suggestions for improvement;
- Support in the planning and scoping of work;
- Interface with customer technical representatives;
- Support the wider technical standards within NNL by participating in wider learning initiatives.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree or higher qualification in a physical science or engineering related discipline
- Chartered membership status of a relevant professional institution.
- Proven track record in project delivery
- Significant experience as an appointed Technical Lead within a technical environment involving the design, manufacture and development of articulated electro-mechanical devices or materials characterisation/testing.
- Experience in the provision of technical supervision.
- Awareness of experimental design methods.
- Proven ability to conform to appropriate safe systems of work.
- Able to deliver compelling justification to underpin a technical strategy, scope and delivery against customer’s expectation.
- Ability to work to a high security standard.
- SC Cleared (or ability to become so).
- Due to the nature of this role, it is only open to UK nationals.
- Desirable Skills/Qualifications
- APMP qualified
- Radiation worker with active area working experience.
- Previous experience of remote handling techniques would be an advantage.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
National Nuclear Laboratory