Cost Controller (EDF Contract)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a capable Project Controls Cost Controller to join the National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) PMO function based at NNL’s facility at Sellafield. The role will provide the primary cost controls support on a multi-million-pound programme of work which is planned to run for the next 18 months and potentially beyond. The programme of work is for one of NNL’s highest profile customers, and the need to deliver the programme of work to time, cost and quality ensuring that all ‘risks’ are properly managed to minimise programme and financial impact is critical and of reputational importance to NNL.
The Project Controls function forms part of the Project Management Office (PMO) which is part of a wider Project Management Authority (PMA) responsible for all aspects of project delivery governance; controls; standards, and assurance across the full delivery lifecycle. The primary responsibilities of the PMO centre around the need to ensure that adequate controls are in place, embedded and being adhered to, to ensure that the delivery of NNL projects is achieved successfully, and in a safe and secure manner to the levels of quality expected. Our Project Controls capability is a vital part of the overall PMO and provides bid, cost estimating, and planning /scheduling support to our Project Management community but is also there to ensure that appropriate governance is built into schedules to provide robust plans; accurate reporting outputs, and subject matter oversight & guidance.
The Cost Controller role will be responsible for controlling programme / project costs, and work activities will include;
- Planning, developing, controlling, and forecasting the project's budget;
- Minimising deviation from the budget and ensuring that the project is completed within the approved budget;
- Monitoring project cost information during the project execution phases;
- Analysing cost data;
- Providing input / support to Risk analysis exercises;
- Assisting forecasting financial out turns, and
- Providing reporting to key stakeholders as required by the programme / project.
- Ensure the accuracy of data communicated and reported to all stakeholders.
- The highlighting of any current and potential issues to the Programme / Project Managers; and Project Controls representatives.
- Maintain compliance with approved delivery processes, procedures and Project Execution Plans.
- Provide and manage the cost framework, systems and resources to deliver an effective cost control and reporting service to Project Managers and Sponsors.
- Compilation of cost estimates from first principles, ensuring that the estimate is underpinned by norms, quotes and any other information forming the basis of estimate.
- To assist with quantifying the financial risks associated with project workstreams, including but not limited to 3 point estimating and supporting quantitative risk analysis exercises where necessary.
- Advising on the cost impact of schedule change and variations, liaising with the Commercial Function as required
- Comprehensive reporting of project financial performance through the provision of financial reports based on data analysis, variance analysis against baselines and cost control data
- Provision of financial forecasting data, including earned value analysis, identifying critical areas and trends and recommend recovery options.
- Maintain an estimate of the outturn value of the project and prepare the EAC for review and approval.
- Identification of cost trends outside of the forecast and providing support in the identification of the root cause of such trends
- Active project cost control, opening and closing cost codes in response to change and variations.
- Implementing best practices as defined by the Delivery PMO and/or agreed project / programme governance arrangements.
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong numeracy skills.
- Experience of utilising various financial management systems to generate MI, and to provide value-adding data to aid project / programme delivery.
- Competent Advanced Microsoft Excel user (e.g. creation & use of lookups and pivot tables; macro’s and production of dashboard reports).
- An appreciation of typical project lifecycle management models / frameworks / methodologies.
- Demonstrable experience of providing Cost / Project Controls support on Construction / Engineering / Nuclear programmes / projects, e.g. in a regulated environment.
- An appreciation of the constraints presented by Nuclear governance (timescales, cost etc).
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
National Nuclear Laboratory