Chemical Processing Operator
Job Description for Chemical Processing Operator:
NNL is where you’ll experiment to help solve global challenges. As part of our Waste Management & Decommissioning capability, your work will impact the lives of generations. By finding new ways to avoid, reduce, store and treat nuclear waste, and drive down the cost of decommissioning, you’ll help to deliver cleaner energy and influence our nation’s energy future. You’ll face new challenges every day, working in unique locations on ground-breaking projects. Whichever area you specialise in this is a place to do great science for a good cause.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Waste and Processing team based at NNL’s Preston Laboratory. The team develops and implements bespoke treatment and processing solutions for a range of complex wastes and residues, predominantly from the front-end of the fuel cycle. The team works across a Pilot Plant chemical processing facility as well as numerous laboratories.
The purpose of this role is to join a team of chemical Process Operators directly supporting Pilot Plant operations. As a chemical Process Operator you will be expected to operate a wide range of equipment and bespoke processing modules to facilitate the safe and effective delivery of designated work packages to time, quality and cost.
The management team will ensure the successful candidate receives the necessary training, development, and experience; to allow them to run/oversee multiple operations simultaneously, comfortably adapt to change in process, and work under varying levels of supervision.
Main Responsibilities for Chemical Processing Operator:
- To be competent in all Pilot Plant operations / processes (batch production chemical plant).
- To be competent in all laboratory techniques directly supporting Pilot Plant.
- To carry Pilot Plant operations as requested by Pilot Plant Operations Team Leader.
- To carry out laboratory operations as requested by Pilot Plant Operation Team Leader.
- To carry out operations safely in a high hazard environment, as stipulated under pertinent permissioning documentation.
- To utilise human performance tools to enhance operational safety.
- To contribute towards continuous activities and EHSS&Q objectives as directed by plant management.
- To be trained in the use of FLT, overhead crane, and monitoring equipment.
- To carry out plant wide positive compliance checks.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Chemical Processing Operator:
- Operational experience, preferably on a chemical plant / high hazard environment.
- Willingness and aptitude to undertake training to become competent in a wide range of processing modules.
- Ability to build effective working relationships within a small team and across different business areas.
- Demonstrable positive attitude towards achieving high levels of safety and quality.
- Attention to detail and questioning attitude.
- Enthusiastic and flexible approach to work.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Able to work in active area.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Trained or prepared to be trained in a variety of PPE (such as PVC suits / respirators).
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Chemical Processing Operator:
- Experience of working on a nuclear or highly regulated site would be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of criticality control and accountancy.
- FLT license.
- Overhead crane operator.
- Qualifications relevant to the post / relevant discipline.
About the Company
NNL is an incredible place to work A place where people do things that have never been done before A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business, and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service, and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory