Assistant Project Manager
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Project Manager to join the NNL Project Delivery team within the National Nuclear Laboratory.
The Project Manager will be accountable for delivering projects safely and to the agreed level of quality, schedule and cost in a manner that complies with the NNL’s defined delivery framework and full compliance with all NNL policies.
Within NNL, Project Managers are required to be flexible and will have opportunity to manage a wide variety of projects, in different areas of the nuclear sector. Initially, projects will be associated with our Retrievals and Remediation portfolio, along with certain International projects for our Japanese customers.
-Delivering projects to meet Time, Cost and Quality requirements.
- Ensuring adequate health and safety arrangements are in place at all times for all project team members and for sub-contracted work.
- Overseeing the management of projects throughout the project lifecycle from kick-off through to close-out and ensuring adherence to contract, procedures and use of control documents
- Ensuring that staff are suitably qualified, competent and experienced to fulfil their roles
- Acting as a direct interface with Customers for all project delivery issues
- Meeting NNL business objectives whilst striving to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Ensuring issues are promptly highlighted within the management chain to enable quick resolution
- Managing Customer deviations from scope, schedule and cost in the best interests of the NNL
business whilst maintaining the customer relationship.
- Arranging for the resource and facilities to be available from within NNL to meet the project program
- Delivery of projects to agreed CPI and SPI indices, deliverables or other defined targets.
- Ensuring delivery meets time, cost and quality objectives
- Control of costs against budgets for delivery of projects
- Achieving Safety, Quality, Environmental and Health related performance targets against delivery of all NNL project work (customer funded internal NNL funded)
- Ensure suitable planning arrangements to support commercial bids and subsequent delivery of contracts.
- Establishing, monitoring and managing risks through Risk Registers for all project work, including the management of Contingency.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- Relevant experience within an industrial environment, preferably nuclear.
- Project Management professional qualification (e.g. APMP, Diploma APM, IPMA Level D) or working towards.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deliver within a team environment.
- Proven excellent customer relationship skills.
- Ability to deal with people across a wide range of management levels and technical expertise, including external organisations, plant management and commercial functions.
- Proven record of problem solving and the ability to negotiate solutions to allow safe and efficient operations.
- Proven track record in delivering complex research based projects to time, cost and quality.
- SC level security clearance (or the ability to be).
- Ability to travel between sites/customers (Full Driving Licence Essential).
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Ability to utilise project scheduling software for the purposes of controlling and monitoring project works, e.g. MS Project
- Demonstrable financial acumen and experience of using financial monitoring & performance tools / processes.
- Use of Microsoft Office – Work, Excel, Power-point
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.
National Nuclear Laboratory