Assistant Project Manager
Job Description for Assistant Project Manager:
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you’ll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It’s a challenging role but it’s an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
NNL’s projected CapEx annual workload for the medium term will be significantly greater than any previous delivery year. Additional investment in our Windscale facility for this same period will exceed the collective capacity of our current team.
NNL have an exciting opportunity for a suitably experienced person with a wish to pursue a career in Project Management to join our established Windscale CapEx team. Project work in this area will typically be of small to medium scale in size and complexity. That will almost entirely be concerned with improving the condition of our buildings and the assets within.
Main Responsibilities for Assistant Project Manager:
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring compliance with CDM regulations at all times.
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring all Project plant intrusive activities are requested and engaged through the building IDM process.
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring all Project stages are effectively completed and the Project handed over in a controlled manner, covering plant status, and responsibilities for rooms / systems as a minimum.
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring an accurate report on Project health is presented on a monthly basis.
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring all internal and external stakeholders are fully engaged on Project progress and timings at all times.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Assistant Project Manager:
- APM Foundation.
- Has working knowledge of applying the following in non complex situations / projects;
- Consolidating and documenting the fundamental components of projects (scope, schedule, resource requirements, budgets, risks, opportunities and issues, and quality requirements).
- Supporting the preparation, approval, refining and updating of business cases that justify the initiation and/or continuation of projects in terms of benefits, costs and risks.
- Preparing and maintaining project requirements. Determining the best means of satisfying requirements within the context of project objectives and constraints i.e. developing solutions.
- Securing the provision of resources needed for projects from internal and/or external providers.
- Developing and agreeing budgets for projects and controlling forecast and actual costs against them.
- Developing, implementing and updating resources allocations plans.
- Supporting the preparation and maintaining schedules for project activities and events, taking account of dependencies and resource requirements.
- Identifying and monitoring project risks (threats and opportunities).
- Maintaining and applying quality management processes for project activities and outputs.
- Implementing where necessary, protocols to change the scope of projects and updating configuration documents as required.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Assistant Project Manager:
- APM Level 1 Risk Management.
- IOSH Managing Safely.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory