Assistant Project Manager (Capital Expenditure Projects)
The Assistant Project Manager will report into the Capital Expenditure (Capex) Project Management team delivering work in support of various facilities in the Cumbria area.
Responsible for the successful delivery of project related work including the establishment of project execution strategies; management of cross-functional project teams, and the safe and secure delivery of projects through the project life cycle, to time, cost and quality to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Provision of task related reporting to the Capex Project team as required to provide regular updates on status, risks, opportunities and/or matters for escalation.
- Provision of project financial performance information including projected spends, actuals Vs planned, earned value, and estimate at complete out-turn costs.
- Management of project risks and risk mitigation through liaison with PMA Project Controls function.
- Ensuring adequate Health Safety & Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out.
- Effective control and management of change within the project.
- Provide assistance to Capex Project team with regards to capturing of minutes, key actions, updates, and following up on key issues on their behalf and as required.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills / Qualifications
- Good understanding of project delivery fundamentals, e.g. APM project management methodologies.
- Ability to utilise project scheduling software for the purposes of controlling and monitoring project works, e.g. MS Project, EPM, Primavera P6, etc.
- Demonstrable financial acumen and experience of using financial monitoring & performance tools / processes.
- Some experience of implementation in a project delivery situation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work independently as well as part of an effective team
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Resilient to coping with conflicting demands, able to prioritise duties and work under pressure
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility
Desirable Skills / Qualifications
- Actively pursuing further education opportunities, or experience based learning, to improve knowledge and understanding of project delivery processes, procedures and tools, and with a view to working towards Project Manager grade.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.
National Nuclear Laboratory