Account Director (Defence)
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work directly with Rolls-Royce and the Ministry of Defence to develop long-term relationships for the benefit of the UK. Within this role you will sponsor the delivery of a portfolio of strategic national importance, work with the client to understand future strategy and lead the customer interface in a way that unlocks value for the customer, the National Laboratory and the UK. The location for this role can be flexible across NNL locations.
The main responsibilities to Account Director will be:
- Duty of care for all staff identified
- Generate new business through a relationship-based sales and value growth approach
- Maintain pipeline of opportunities in line with the 10 year plan
- Identify and drive delivery of key pursuits based on account plan
- Develop business case(s) to support internal investment/leverage to deliver customer value
- Develop value/account driven capability maps with Heads of Capability
- Accountability P&L for account area
- Submit / approve bids in line with delegated authority
- Management of growth budget
- Oversight of commercial negotiations and balance of risk profile vs price
Delivery to Customer Accountability
- Sponsor the delivery of the portfolio of work ensuring robust governance and data driven reporting is in place
- Liaise between Rolls Royce/Sellafield/MoD and cross functional internal teams to ensure the timely and successful delivery of outcomes according to customer needs
- Be the escalation point for customer issues
- Develop deep customer insight and ensure that capability areas are aligned to deliver value
- Nurture operational customer accounts to develop long term relationships
- Proactively use of the End to End Sales approach
- Implement cultural and business strategies associated with their account
- Lead by example with respect to NNL Values and Behaviours
- Promotes the CE vision and objectives
The Ideal Candidate
Essential skills for the role of Account Director:
- Track record in winning and growing existing customer business.
- Track record of nurturing customer relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to understand a portfolio of projects, with the ability to adapt from strategy to detail.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to engage stakeholders and build strong collaborative relationships
- Strong business and commercial acumen
- Proven account management or relevant experience.
- Detailed understanding of Nuclear skills and capability or highly regulated business gained knowledge in previous role.
- Customer relationship management at senior operational level.
- Acts as a role model to NNL’s values and behaviours
Desirable skills for the role of Account Director:
- Detailed understanding of defence and nuclear power generation customers and markets
- Successful preparation and delivery of business cases; influencing internal senior management
- Previous experience of working on MoD / Rolls Royce SSCR contracts in a customer facing role
- Demonstration of leading large campaigns and nurturing long term relationships
- Demonstrable ability in negotiation and meeting client requirements
- Proven ability to lead and inspire others to achieve challenging goals
- Proven experience leading a culture of continuous improvement
- Experience of upselling and growing areas including negotiation skills
- Chartered status / professional project management qualification
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
National Nuclear Laboratory