Structural Integrity Engineer
NNL are looking to expand our existing team of engineers who perform structural analysis work to support our clients in the civil nuclear power industry.
The successful candidate will be required to carry out a wide range of structural integrity assessments. This will include Fitness for Service, Fracture Mechanics and Remnant Life Assessments to appropriate British, American or European design codes.
The individual will be expected to manage all aspects of a technical project, which includes project delivery, commercial awareness and management of project staff. This role is client-facing so it is essential that applicants are able to demonstrate willingness and an ability to work directly with client engineers.
- Structural Integrity assessments of new and existing nuclear plant
- Numerical modelling and the use of commercially available Finite Element codes
- Assessments to ASME III and relevant British Standards such as BS7910
- Presentation of results to customers
- Ability to think laterally to solve complex technical problems
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Suitable candidates will possess a good degree in Engineering, Maths or Physics and will have a strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles;
- Experience of linear and non-linear Finite Element Analysis using ANSYS, ABAQUS, LS-DYNA or equivalent;
- Experience of undertaking Structural Integrity assessments of safety critical structures/components to British, European or American design codes, such as ASME III;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to interface on a technical level with client engineers and stakeholders.
- Post-graduate qualification (MSc or PhD) in a relevant field is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with Fracture Mechanics, Life Assessment, Damage Tolerance Assessments, and Fitness for Service Assessments using R5, R6, BS7910 or API-579;
- Familiarity with IAEA Transport Regulations.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.