The Strategy, Science and Innovation (SSI) directorate, formed early in the business transformation process, is responsible for setting the strategic direction of NNL, and ensuring that it has the skills and technology to secure its future success. In essence, it is responsible for setting the future story of NNL.
The strategy function within SSI has been established to develop and lead NNLs new and evolving strategic planning process, to create and secure Board approval for NNLs strategic plan, and to monitor execution and management of NNLs corporate strategy and top-level risks.
The strategy function works with other parts of SSI (especially with the global insight and communications functions) and with functions and business areas across NNL to ensure that NNLs strategy is informed by insight and expertise across the company, and is deliverable. It is also an outward-facing function, working with key customers and stakeholders (notably the UK Government) to help ensure that NNL is optimally positioned in the UK nuclear sector.
SSI, and the strategy function in particular, has a particular interest in managing the balance between NNLs commercial and national laboratory responsibilities as it looks to position itself to provide a vital role in driving innovation across the nuclear sector.
NNL is looking to recruit a Strategy Manager
The Strategy Manager will report primarily to the VP Strategy, but may at times also undertake work for other members of the SSI senior leadership team, and will need to be flexible in managing the workload.
With NNLs strategic capability still developing, the post-holder will bring considerable experience of, and technical competence in, the tools and methodologies required to conduct strategy development and business analysis, possibly earned in a strategy consulting, Big Four, or corporate environment. The post-holder will be confident in applying these proactively and in helping improve the skills of others in NNL (including in SSI).
A rigorous analytical approach will be required to lead and/or support a variety of workstreams. These are likely to include:
- Leading or supporting the development of business cases and specific strategies, both within and outwith the strategic planning process;
- Engaging with customer-facing areas of NNL, including potentially arranging and hosting workshop sessions, to understand the sector and to develop detailed analysis of the business;
- Supporting the VP Strategy in developing NNLs strategic plan, building on that detailed business analysis, and including drafting and editing content;
- Working closely with finance to ensure that the strategic plan and the (financial) business plan are aligned and mutually supportive, and that the business analysis and financial analysis are robust and coherent, challenging finance where appropriate;
- Writing and potentially presenting reports to the Executive Leadership Team and other bodies on execution of strategic plans;
- Working closely with SSI leads (notably the VP Innovation and the VP Global Insight) on the impact of their analysis on NNLs strategic plan;
- Supporting the VP Global Insight and customer-facing parts of the business on market analysis and its impact on NNLs strategic plan;
- Engaging with NNLs customers and external stakeholders on strategy, including attending events.
This is an influential role at the heart of NNLs strategic centre, with the post-holder having direct impact on the development and implementation of NNLs future growth strategy.
The Ideal Candidate
- The role is a good development opportunity in itself, working in a new and stimulating central function of NNL and involving reaching out widely through NNLs business and beyond.
- Relevant personal development activities including training will be expected and encouraged (commitment to be agreed once in post).
Demonstrable skill in strategy development and business analysis methodologies, with experience most likely gained either in a consulting or in-house strategy role;
- Experience in creating and presenting strategic business cases;
- Deep business understanding and strong financial acumen;
- A highly organised and conscientious self-starter, keen to act on own initiative;
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal), with experience in facilitating meetings or workshops and comfortable in speaking to senior audiences;
- Understanding of nuclear or related sectors a bonus, but willingness to learn essential;
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and sometimes sensitive environment.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory