Senior Research Technologist (Mechanical Engineering)
The Remote Engineering Team supplies bespoke remote handling equipment, tooling, and inspection systems for all aspects of remote operations plant intervention work in the nuclear industry. We cover all aspects of projects including optioneering studies, concept design, detail design, manufacture, test, commission and on site operations. Our expertise includes the supply of remotely deployed equipment for use in active plant, underwater operations, waste size reduction & processing and decommissioning. In addition we also design, build and operate inactive test rigs to prove new technology, equipment and processes prior to deployment in active nuclear plant environments.
The role of the Senior Research Technologist is to provide engineering and scientific support to:-
- The design, build, test, development, commissioning and on-site deployment of bespoke remote handling equipment, tooling, and inspection systems for all aspects of remote operations plant intervention work in the nuclear industry.
- The design, build and operation of inactive test rigs to prove new technology, equipment and processes prior to deployment in active nuclear plant environments.
- To perform trials of equipment and processes to client specifications, collating trials results, analysing data and the generation of technical reports.
The innovative development of engineered solutions from concept through to deployment on active plants of plant intervention and plant inspection equipment. This may include the preparation of development requirements documentation, equipment specifications, technical supervision of design works, technical supervision of development rigs during construction and the day to day management of test rig activities.
- To provide mechanical engineering and scientific consultancy and support for remotely operable systems and equipment for the nuclear industry.
- Act as the interface with the Customer for all technical issues related to the project.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on issues appropriate to their working area.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role, including those required for CE marking.
- Preparation of product safety related documentation, e.g. risk assessments, method statements, PUWER assessments, O&M manuals and technical files.
- Liaise with project managers to ensure that work is delivered to meet time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Lead the development and application of appropriate technical and managerial processes and systems in their working area.
- Keep abreast of developments in their own field and applying them to designated work packages.
- Provision of technical supervision for technician and craft personnel.
- Provide coaching to develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Initiation and progression of the procurement process, including liaison with suppliers and manufacturers, through delivery and inspection.
- Requirement to travel is expected, between NNL locations and customer locations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related subject and a relevant level of experience.
- Experience in the development and on-site deployment of remote operations plant intervention and inspection systems.
- Knowledge and experience of applying the legislative and regulatory requirements relating to engineering product development projects and CE marking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, such that difficult concepts can be conveyed clearly and concisely to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
- Evidence of problem solving and seeking solutions.
- A working knowledge of the relevant safety legislation, quality and environmental standards.
- Chartered Engineer with the IMechE.
- Knowledge of nuclear industry and plant operations.
- IOSH Managing Safely.
- Good presentation skills.
- Strong and supportive team player.
- Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
- Questioning attitude.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.